We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to pre-book seats on Malaysian Airlines??

Czech Republic...
Level Contributor
458 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
How to pre-book seats on Malaysian Airlines??

Hi,

we're flying to KL next Friday, I heard that you can pre-book seats 72 hours prior to the flight. I was wondering If anybody did this before and how? I heard that you can do early check-in online but I can't seem to find it... Do I have to ring up Malaysian Airlines?

We'd like to pre-book and choose seats next to the window. Is this possible at all?

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers.

Katerina

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,192 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to pre-book seats on Malaysian Airlines??

if it is let me know as we are flying in 3 weeks

dave

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to pre-book seats on Malaysian Airlines??

Hi Katerina, I just flew into London yesterday evening with MH. Now, sitting comfortably with my favourite website, weather is fine, with me,prefer it this way, though light drizzle at Swiss Cottage.

What class are you planning to travel on--this has a bearing on pre-booking seats and how long MH can hold the seats, thereafter payment must be made.

MH recently introduced the ATOL procedure, i.e. they cannot hold seats longer than 72 hours, but with certain "muscling" and your class of travel--it is possible. Well, we live with the spirit of Malaysia Boleh (Malaysia Can), but we must be fair to other passengers who really need the seats.

However, if you are referring to pre-booking window seats, yes you could do that at time of booking and also make it known if you have any meal preference, though in my case this was not necessary. I actually slept through out the flight, to avoid jet lags and even after few hours upon arrival, I went for tennis, just after midnight and feel that my biological clock is now in sync with Europe, as after this will be off to Germany.

It is best to do this with MH office, rather with travel agents.

I understand you are planning to be off to Bali too, have you consider AirAsia.

Norwich
Level Contributor
23 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to pre-book seats on Malaysian Airlines??

I'm flying with Malaysia Airlines from Heathrow in July, and I requested my travel agent for us to be pre-allocated seats at the front of Economy class.

As soon as we confirmed and paid for the booking, we were immediately told what seat numbers had been allocated to us.

I have tried directly calling MH office in London before, but they were not always helpful; instead when I went to head office in Kuala Lumpur, they immediately let me choose which seats I liked (if still available).

You don't have to wait till 72 hours before flight departure; I suggest you ring your agent or MH head office sooner rather than later, before every good seat has been taken up.

Czech Republic...
Level Contributor
458 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to pre-book seats on Malaysian Airlines??

mKiaratravel,

I already bought the flights I just wanted to know if there is a way to get the seats allocated prior to check-in.

Yes we're flying next Friday to Bali via Kuala Lumpur also with Malaysia Airlines we're staying in Bali for 8 days and then we're coming back to Malaysia stayin in KL for 3 nights and then moving onto Redang Island for further 6 nights also flying with Malaysian airlines. I have to say that we got a really good deal with the flights I was trying to book it myself but gave up because the price was sooo high so I booked it with Travelmood and the price for the 6 flights worked out much cheaper.

I can't wait to go and see your country!!

I hope you're enjoying your stay in London, it's been raining for days now I'm in a need of some serious sunshine! ;-)

Many thanks.

Katerina

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How to pre-book seats on Malaysian Airlines??

mKiaratravel,

Your in my home town, London, Swiss Cottage, not far from where I live in the UK ( Harrow ).

As you may have seen I decided to take up on your idea about Langkawi weather updates, recieved quite a few emails about doing this and decided to go ahead. I would like it if Leigh could make a contribution, especially with him being on the other side of Langkawi. I have not seen any recent postings by him though.

Thanks for your contribution to Malaysian Members thread, I found it very interesting and always enjoy your very well informed replies on this site. I am still learning ..... with your help.

At the risk of sounding nosey I would like to ask a question - are you involved with MAS or perhaps have a travel company here in Malaysia. Its just that all your replies are so accurate and factual.

Hope you don't mind me asking.

Did you manage to go to the malaysian event at Covent Garden ?.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to pre-book seats on Malaysian Airlines??

Kacenka, just back from another round of golf, I find the cool weather in England, is very ideal for me, as I feel I do not need much sleep, and the next morning am still energetic. Yesterday, met up with my cousins, who are staying in Baker St (Lilestone St), and went around London.

Will be making a trip to my Alma Mater place in Oxford. Do not get the wrong idea--not a hurray henry--my academic life in Oxford was really tough, I had to work harder than my English friends.

Anyway, in respect of your seats in MH, you should have chosen the seat at time of booking. Nevertheless, do try in these few days if you could at least get a window seat.

Robelyn15, thank you for your compliments. I have been relaxing much in Swiss Cottage, going to the shops and yesterday, my cousins took me to Convent Garden, then we had tea at Harrods, and did some window shopping around Kensington and Burlington.

Still pondering over a pair of Church's, though my present pair from my graduation is still doing its deeds,after few re-soling.

Thank you for finding my feedbacks factual. I have always believe, my knowledge of my country is derived from having stood on other great shoulders, some of which from TA forum users. I am neither in MAS nor running a travel agent. Do not worry, if you have felt to be nosey to have ask; I did my growing up in Malaysia and though being educated in your country, have learnt when to draw the line and when people are being to nosey.

Sometimes, I do get a bit dumbfounded, when being introduced to someone the first time in Malaysia, and they start asking the usual- "where do you live, where do you work, how many kids you have etc, how much you bought the property for etc." like an internal revenue officer filling up the tax returns form.

It is something that I have learnt to respect people's privacy and slowly and gradually break the ice,as with my English friends, well over few mugs of beer.

I am a businessman running a little company, and since I travel alot, I also gather information and be very observant, and it has been my travel philosophy since my backpacking days around Europe, I never rush around. And since I speak German, broken Italian and "can get around" French, I find it to my advantage to hang out at locals' places and just soak in the atmosphere. I find, that's where I have learnt the most of each place.

It has always been my amazement with the local travel agents in KL, selling 10 days(or more) packages around Europe, visiting like so many countries in Europe; luckily in some parts, they have adopted the Euro currency, now, otherwise they will lose in the FOREX transactions.

I am not sure whether to hit the bed now, as my wife is coming in on the 0550hrs MH flight, and I thought to get into Chinatown for some dimsum with her.

Locals in Europe are always amazed with my wife and I, when we travel and speak the few lingo. Wife is of Malaysian-French.

I believe, besides being of mixed parentage, my years in UK has given me the great exposure and of course the great days in Oxford.

Nice to be going around with the mackintosh, which I left behind in Swiss Cottage. The cool temperature of 7-10 deg Celsius, is really to my liking, having the cups of tea/coffee and smoking my pipe (though not the Shisha water pipe), the aroma do mixes very well with this cool air.

Do continue with your postings of Langkawi (and also the weather updates ), my wife was telling me over the phone, that it was raining cats and dogs in the Klang Valley, well, I told her, maybe you will be bringing more to London, as I have done, then Malaysia (for that matter, KL) will be days of sunshine for all our visitors (and TA forum members) to enjoy.

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to pre-book seats on Malaysian Airlines??

I booked a ticket last week DUB-LHR-KUL return with Trailfinders, for travel in August. The sales agent asked if I had any seat preferences, and when I received my itinerary email, I was allocated window seats 42A out, and 49A return.

I seem to recall phoning MAS directly a few years ago, and they kept window seats for me.

oxfordshire uk
Level Contributor
26 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to pre-book seats on Malaysian Airlines??

I hope you can book seats as I hope I have! I booked my seat thru to Maelbourne and then rand Malaysian Airlines and they gave me seat numbers thru and back. Will they be honoured on arrival at Heathrow I wonder?..................

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How to pre-book seats on Malaysian Airlines??

Mkiaratravel,

Buy the Church shoes, you know how long they will last.

I have some myself, the best.

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: How to pre-book seats on Malaysian Airlines??

southmoor,

Do not fret, if MAS have given you a seat number, the seat is yours.

Enjoy your flight.