We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaysia itinerary

Kranj, Slovenia
Level Contributor
141 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Malaysia itinerary

Hello,

we (husband and I) will be visiting Malaysia for 16 days in March. Some help with my itinerary would be greatly apreciated.

So far, this is what I've figured out:

Day 1: late arrival to Singapore, we'll spend the night there, then on the next day take a bus to Melaka.

Day 2: Melaka, spend the night, and on day three, take a bus to KL.

Days 3,4,5: KL

Day 6: bus to Cameron highlands

here comes the first question. One or two nights in cameron highlands? Since we continue to Perhentians, should we stay 1 night in CH and one in Kota Bharu, or should we go to Kota Bharu directly from CH? Day 8-13: Perhentians

Days 13-16 Singapore.

How does it sound? Did I miss something that is a must see?

Thanks in advance :)

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaysia itinerary

Sounds a reasonable plan and I would spend 2 nights in Cameron Highlands.

Not much to see IMO in Kota Bharu, though some decent food at night market.

Perhentian islands are lovely and its end of Monsoon so hopefully you're weather will be ok.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
243 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaysia itinerary

You'd want to be in Malacca on a weekend as that's when the Jonker Street night market operates.

As for Kota Bharu there's really nothing much to see, but something which comes to mind is the Siti Khadijah market. It's a daytime market and a nice place to see and photograph.

2 nights in CH. It's a few hours from KL, around 4 hours due to the mountain roads so you're going to have to factor that in. And try to find some reputable, reliable transport since some bus drivers drive like maniacs. Even on those winding roads. Don't mean to be alarmist but couple that with rainy weather and figure out what happens next. Sorry I can't help with transport recommendations tho as I drive there myself.

Kranj, Slovenia
Level Contributor
141 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaysia itinerary

Thanks guys :) Ok, two nights in CH it is. Any good accommodation tips?

Does the night market in Melaka operate also on sunday night? We arrive on saturday to singapore, and it would probobly be a bit too much to go strait from Changi to Melaka. And too late too, since our plane lands at 9 pm.

Thanks for the tip about the drivers. Are you talking about private buses or public transport?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
243 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaysia itinerary

I've been there on a Sunday so yes I can confirm that the Jonker Street night market is open on Sundays.

9pm? Good idea to spend a night in Singapore.

I'm referring to the interstate buses (called express buses and they some certainly live up to their name LOL)

Kranj, Slovenia
Level Contributor
141 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaysia itinerary

I googled in the meantime ... saw that the night market is only on fridays and saturdays, unfortunately. Since we'll arrive there on Sunday, we'll still have something to do, right?

Edited: 01 February 2012, 00:44
Kranj, Slovenia
Level Contributor
141 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaysia itinerary

Ok, good news on the sunday market. Even google doesn't know everything, apparently :)

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
243 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaysia itinerary

"For those who are visiting Jonker Street on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, you will be able experience the same place in different ways. During these 3 days, there will be a night market starting from 6.00 pm to 12.00 am where there will be additional stalls along the pedestrian street."

malaysiavacationguide.com/jonker-street.html

BTW the photos aren't of the night market. Here's some:

…blogspot.com/2009/08/stalls-at-jonker-stree…

No worries. ;)

Edited: 01 February 2012, 00:58
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaysia itinerary

Nara77, what's your budget for CL accommodation?

Have stayed at Father guest house and loved the gardens and owners of the place, really nice setting. However it is pretty basic, but we enjoyed it.

http://fathers.cameronhighlands.com/

Kranj, Slovenia
Level Contributor
141 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaysia itinerary

Chris, thanks for the links.

KR Edinburgh, I don't mind if it's basic, I will check them out, thanks.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
258 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaysia itinerary

Ive also been looking for accommodation in Cameron Highlands and note from the website that Father guesthouse is closed for renovation

Anything similar nearby any one can suggest?

Thanks