We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is an h connection enough for us on arrival in Laos?

New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Is an h connection enough for us on arrival in Laos?

We have a one hour layover at VTE on a flight from Bangkok connecting (same aircraft) to LP. Given the expense of paying for an expedited visa here in the US (we leave in 15 days) does anyone have experience with whether we will be able-we will have filled out these application forms and photos-to get our visa, go through customs/immigration and make our connecting flight?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
15,951 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is an h connection enough for us on arrival in Laos?

When booking, agencies will not allow a connection of under 45 minutes but an hour is acceptable, meaning they trust you will have enough time to catch your connecting flight.

Re: the immigration issue-

I don't quite understand- since you wil be flying into Luang Prabang and not going through customs (your bags will be sent through to LP, right?) why wodl you need to get your visas in Vientiane? I think that passengers wait in a departure lounge in transit while they clean the plane, and then have you re-board along wiht the passengers originating from Vientiane.

(I saw this done in Pakse, people got off one plane, then boarded another 30 minutes later)

lewes uk
Level Contributor
8,807 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is an h connection enough for us on arrival in Laos?

Hi,

There is no 'connecting' flight to Luang Prabang via Vientiane, so I assume that you are flying to Vientiane and then connecting to the Lao Airlines domestic flight to LPB.

Unless you are a transit passenger you always have to go through entry and visa requirements when you first land in a country.

An hour should be enough, immigration is usually quick and the domestic terminal is a short walk from international arrivals, you won't have any spare time though and I'd try to get seats on the inbound that allow you to get to the immigration counters fast with all your forms filled out correctly.

Cheers

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,023 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is an h connection enough for us on arrival in Laos?

Your Lao Airlines flight is Bangkok - LP, and you will clear immigration and get a visa when you arrive in LP. During your short wait in Vientiane airport you don't clear customs, just wait in the lounge then reboard.

(Same set-up as the Vientiane - Siem Reap flight stopping in Pakse).

New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is an h connection enough for us on arrival in Laos?

Thanks!

There are two different flight numbers, 424 and 101. The USA version of the Lao airlines online booking separates international and domestic flights, so the two "tickets" (it's all electronic) are separate. The British office (it was easier to make contact with them) did tell me that we would be able to check our bags all the way through to LP. My only experience has been that in some countries, you need to disembark at the first port of entry to the country, clear customs and immigration, and then put your bags back for the second flight. That's why I was worried.

Thanks so much for your responses. spending more than $200 US for expedited visas has now been saved! :-)

If I can bother you with one more question: there doesn't seem away to book seats online for our flights. Is this because the airline only has open seating, or is there some way that we can book these in advance. We're flying coach since the flights is so short.(The flights are on the only jet aircraft that flies the route. That's how I was able to assume that it's the same aircraft continuing on. my travel partner is afraid to fly on turboprops, which is why we chose this particular book.

Again, thanks to all of you for providing this information, we're leaving our anxiety, and saving us so much money!

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,023 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is an h connection enough for us on arrival in Laos?

No you can't book your seat number in advance with lao airlines - but you can ask for your preference when you check-in in Bangkok

6. Re: Is an h connection enough for us on arrival in Laos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 18:46