We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Vietnam Visa in Vientiane

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
Getting Vietnam Visa in Vientiane

6 May 2013. I got a Vietnam tourist visa today in Vientiane and wanted to let everyone know the process.

Vietnam Embassy in Vientiane is just north of Patuxay Monument on the road to Pha That Luang (just past a Toyota car dealership on the right, known by tuk-tuks as Patuxay Toyota). The Vietnam Embassy is also shown on map in Lonely Planet guide.

Consulate entrance is around the left-hand side of the Embassy building.

Opening hours: Monday 9:30 to 12:00 and 13:30 to 17:00

Tuesday to Friday: 8:30 to 12:00 and 13:30 to 17:00

There is a one-page, very basic page to fill-out (passport info, job, nationality, address). Don't need to list hotel or any other information. You can choose single or multiple entry (I chose single and don't know details on multiple).

Bring one passport photo that you glue to the page (glue stick available there).

I arrived at 9:30 AM on a Monday and they didn't open until 11 so be prepared for erratic opening hours, but other than that it was fast an easy process. There were about 7 other foreigners applying for visas the day I went. Everyone seemed to be getting the same day service since the price difference is only $5.

Price for Single Entry Visa: Payable in U.S. dollars

USD $65.00 for next-day service

USD $70.00 for same day (apply in morning, pick up in PM)

You can walk, or better ride a bicycle or motorbike to the embassy and combine that with a visit to Patuxay Monument, Wat Phonxai and That Luang. Happy Travels!

49 replies to this topic
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Getting Vietnam Visa in Vientiane

Update: I was able to get a same day visa from the Vietnam Embassy in Vientiane (September 2016). I dropped off my application in the morning, paid USD $80 and was able to pick up my visa at around 4:30pm the same day. I'm not sure if I just got lucky by getting a same day visa or if they have changed their policies as of recently.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
42. Re: Getting Vietnam Visa in Vientiane

Ryan I would love a response. Are you American? From what I've heard the Vietnamese visa prices just shot up for Americans. They only allow one year multi entry visas now and it runs $135-$220 depending on how you obtain it. Can you confirm any of this for me? It would be an amazing help! I am leaving Thailand for Laos soon and would love to have this information!

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
43. Re: Getting Vietnam Visa in Vientiane

Okay guys so I just took a bus from Vientiane up to Luang Prabang and got my visa up here, they're still offering 30-day Vietnam visas in Luang Prabang! It was $130 down in Vientiane I believe for a 3 month, I'm not 100%. But yeah, it's $40 for 3 day service up here in LP, $45 for 2-day service, $50 for next day service, and $55 for same day service for 30 day visa. That's USD. Who knows how long they will keep doing that but sweet!

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
102 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Getting Vietnam Visa in Vientiane

karmathebum that's good to hear! I will be in Vientiane late December then heading to Luang Prabang. I was thinking about going back to Hanoi for a couple of days. Cheaper than getting it in the US. Awesome!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Getting Vietnam Visa in Vientiane

Hey everyone, we got our visas this week so thought an update to this thread would be good. Check all the details out below:

alwaystomorrow.co.uk/single-post/2016/12/07/…

It was really straight forward for us. Hope this info helps you if you're trying to see how to get your visa :)

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,274 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Getting Vietnam Visa in Vientiane

Cost me $45 this week. Drop the passport in on Wed and pick it up on Monday. The process could not have been easier.

1 post
Save Reply
47. Re: Getting Vietnam Visa in Vientiane

Thank you so much! Great info, and helped me a lot :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Getting Vietnam Visa in Vientiane

Do they insist on US$ or the equivilant in Thai baht

Or I have some Euro

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Getting Vietnam Visa in Vientiane

I'm so glad to have found your message, thank you! Do I need proof of onward travel when applying for a visa to Vietnam?

Reply to: Getting Vietnam Visa in Vientiane
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted