We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pakse to hue via lao bao

Island of Malta...
3 posts
Save Topic
Pakse to hue via lao bao

I would like to cross by bus from pakse to hue via the lao bao border. Any experiences or news with regards to any bus schedules?

The blogs ive read were dated a couple of years ago and most of them talk about bad experiences.

4 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
601 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pakse to hue via lao bao

I took a bus from Savannakhet to Hue several years ago, which took

around 10hrs, so it might take as long or longer from Pakse.

FYI, you can go to Da Nang from Pakse via Ngoc Hoi or Kon Tum,

where you have to change buses.

Yokohama, Japan
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pakse to hue via lao bao

If your purpose is not crossing Lao Bao border itself but going to Hue, it's better(i reccommend) for you to take a direct bus which runs between Pakse and Pleiku(=Gia Lai in Central Highlands) via Phou Keau(Laos) /Bo Y(VN) border---the most southern border crossing between Laos and Vietnam---operated by Mai Linh Express(=very reliable Vietnamese bus company) and get it off at Ngoc Hoi (a local township on NR.14, 19km from Bo Y border and 68km north of Kon Tum) or Kon Tum and catch a bus which goes to Da Nang(→Hue) or Hue as #1 is saying.

As for direct bus between Pakse and Pleiku---

*departure time: around 07:00am

*arrival time to Pleiku:around 17:00pm

*arrival time to Ngoc Hoi: 13:00~14:00pm

*meal time: take it at Attapeu(Vietnamese restaurant) before crossing Phou Keau/Bo Y border(119km from Attapeau) together with bus stuffs and other passengers(very delicious!)

*Mai Linh Express's bus does no overcharging, no scamming, no rips-off exceptionally in buses in Vietnam and very polite to passengers so it's very safe in every thing

Edited: 26 September 2017, 21:04
Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,294 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pakse to hue via lao bao

There are quite a few experiences of this bus trip posted on here - also one of the 'top questions" in the top right panel.

I've done this route a lot and it s straightforward, although the bus starts from Savannakhet or Seno, no Pakse. You would need to get the bus to Savannakhet the night before - or take the route tageckozy suggests above

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
601 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pakse to hue via lao bao

If you want to leave Pakse for Hue,

1. Go to Savannakhet first and then take a bus

all the way to Hue the next day

2. Go to Kon Tum first and spend the night, and

then catch a bus to Hue the next day.

The bus from Pakse to Kon Tum runs every day.

I'm not quite sure if the one from Savannakhet to

Hue does, though.

Reply to: Pakse to hue via lao bao
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted