We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from Almaty to Aktau

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
from Almaty to Aktau

Hi, there!

I'm plaaning on the overland tour over 5 stans with my wife next May.

Seoul, Korea-->Almaty,Kaz.-->Ashgabat,Turk.-->Khiva,Bukhra,Samarqand, Tashikent, Uzb.-->Dushanbe, Tajiki.-->Osh, Kara kol, Bishket, Kyrgy.-->Almaty-->Korea

Having started to look up the web sites of Kazakh since several days, I've been in despair over sevaral basic problems.

1) Train reservation and timetable from Almaty to Aktau;

http://www.pcentre.kz/ ... very sarcastic to foreigners.

http://www.poezda.net/en/ ... I'm not sure if I managed it correctly.

I couldn't get even the departue and arrival time from Almaty to Aktau, and fares , neither.

2) Borderland between Zhanovozhen, Kazakh. and Bekdashi, Turkmenistan.;

I've been told that it would be very hard, even restricted, for a traveller to cross the border from Zhanovozhen to Bekdashi. Is it true, yet?

Many advices for my itineraries will be appreciated.

Edited: 18 December 2011, 16:23
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from Almaty to Aktau

Hello Alex,

Sorry for a late reply, just noticed your post.

Almaty-Aktau train departs on every even date at 11.33 a.m. and arrives to Aktau at 10.50 a.m. (train No. 377t). Trip duration: 72 hours 17 minutes. The price varies from 5600 KZT for platzcart (open-type car with sleeping coaches) to 8726 KZT for 'kupee' (4 sleeping coaches in a closed compartment).

The schedule is for winter, so it may change in May. Tickets can normally be purchased 40 days in advance.

Hope it helps.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: from Almaty to Aktau

Thank you, Nastya!

However, I've decided to skip the Turkmenistan.

Starting at Tashkent, through the Pamir Highway (both of Tajik and Kyrk), I'll finish at Almaty, Kazak. If possible for me to get a visa, the northern Afghanistan will be welcome to my itineraries.

If I have 1 or 2 days to stay in Almaty, what do you think of Must-See places around there?

Thank you again, and best wishes in Happy New Year !

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: from Almaty to Aktau

Sorry, I was sure I'd get a notification when a new reply was posted but I did not. Anyway, here are my personal faves:

- Ascension Cathedral in Panfilov Park - remarkable wooden building that resisted a strong earthquake. Believed to be built without any nails. The park itself is worth a stroll.

- Republic square or so called New square with a golden boy statue.

- Arbat - the actual name of this street is Zhibek Zholy but everybody calls it 'Arbat' as it reminds the same street in Moscow. Full of painters, street musicians and always crowded. I visit this place everytime I come to Almaty.

- Koktobe - it is a green hill with a magnificent view on the city (in a clear weather). There is a cable car that will bring you on top of the hill, where you will find a recreational area with a park, small zoo, cafes, etc.

- Medeo - don't know whether it will fit you for a 1-2 days schedule, but it is a lovely place for a picnic and a long walk.

This is what i'd show to my friend staying in Almaty for a day or two. Note that I am neigther from Almaty nor living there, so my experience is purely touristic. Hopefully our Almaty TripAdvisor mates will come accross this topic and give you some tips.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: from Almaty to Aktau

Dear Nastya,

Thanks for being an active participant on this travel blog and give us "first timers" a good idea of what all to do in a new city/country. I am travelling to Almaty next week and would vist all the places you have recommended.

I also enjoyed the lovely photos on your various trips to India! Where are you travelling next?

Regards

Sanjeev from Bombay

5. Re: from Almaty to Aktau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2013, 09:45