We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exit fee from Phnom Penh

Al Jubail, Saudi...
Level Contributor
78 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Exit fee from Phnom Penh

I heard there is USD25 exit fee when one leaves PP. I am taking along my children ( 6 & 3 years old) do I have to pay for them as well?

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,524 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exit fee from Phnom Penh

Are you talking about the Phnom Penh and Siem Reap International Airport Passenger Service Charge or something else when you use the term "Exit Fee"?

Because if so this is an FAQ and plenty is written about it and available through the TA Search Function as well.

But yes, all non-Khmer adults have to pay this Passenger Service Charge Fee of US$25. which can be paid in cash or by major credit card.

Children over a certain age also have to pay this Charge.

Khmer/Cambodian nationals pay a slightly lesser charge.

Regards. Ian

Al Jubail, Saudi...
Level Contributor
78 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exit fee from Phnom Penh

thanx ian!

I was definitely confuse as we are leaving in a couple of days & wasn't sure what it is called plus i have encountered different terms used for the charges.

Thank you so much for your reply & i have managed to dig the info from the web...

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exit fee from Phnom Penh

Have just exited and it cost us $50US what a bloody rip off!! Just another thing that made us disappointed, we will not be going back. I understand a visa charge butn not an exit tax - especially where there is no middle ground. Just haves and have nots. Very very sad to see.

Keza

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,237 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exit fee from Phnom Penh

Exit fee = Departure tax - plenty of countries have it, in some countries (like Aussie) it's built into your ticket so you never know, others you have to pay separately on departure

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
119 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exit fee from Phnom Penh

In New Zealand, you used to have to pay a departure tax to fly out of Palmerston North - and possibly still do. There are some who may say that it was worth it, I couldn't possibly comment.

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,524 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exit fee from Phnom Penh

Keza_WA,

It rather looks as if you are not aware of airport operations and the differences between governments and countries.

There is NO rip off. Any Rip off - as you put it - is entirely in your own mind.

A Rose by any other name etc = Passenger Service Charge = Airport Service Charge = Airport Tax = etc etc. Just because countries such as Australia require the airlines to collect this payment and pay it in bulk to the Government and/or the Airport Operator and the airlines include these charges in their ticket price and poor countries such as Cambodia collect it directly from the passenger travelling - What is the difference? You still pay it.

Rgds. Ian

Edited: 20 November 2010, 08:24
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exit fee from Phnom Penh

Keza

I kind of agree with you, that tax is just another way to hose rich foreigners. But I pay up and shut up, time and time again.

It was pretty funny, when I was flying out of Cambodia last year the utter outrage that a group of British guys displayed, I guess they were not aware of the departure tax beforehand. Lots of very foul language ensued...

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,727 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exit fee from Phnom Penh

My age is showing now but I do remember years ago- think back in the '80's Australia introduced one. It did not matter though whether you were Australian, British, American or even from Timbuktu- you had to pay it personally as you left and get a piece of paper attactched to your ticket to say you had paid.

It was unpopular so they switched over as others said and made the airlines collect it. Now you just don't know you are paying it.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exit fee from Phnom Penh

I think in Japan we stopped chargign at kansai airport (Osaka) a few years ago. It was $45, now we just tack it onto the airfare.

For developing countries, though, the norm is around $10 or so, so $25 is a substantially large sum, especially added on to the $20 for the visa...

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,532 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Exit fee from Phnom Penh

At least they are upfront about it - not like Australia and many other countries. Besides they have to pay for all those passport control people on the way in! Comes down to your pre trip research which is why this forum is so great - fore warned is fore armed - read the FAQ's on the side!

Suzi

Get answers to your questions about Phnom Penh