We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good optical shop for glasses

Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
good optical shop for glasses

we recently had to buy glasses in phnon penh. my 17 year old son lost his glasses overboard on a mekong river trip from vietnam.

we looked at tripadvisor and found one report on a shop called Grand Optics.

this is a large shop with full optical services; eye testing with the latest equipment (no charge), and ~ 6 to 8 staff. the glasses cost US$60 (transition sunglasses); they would have probably cost $450 back in australia. i also got another pair of glasses for myself (i was planning to do this in hanoi); rimless titaniums for US$65.

Grand Optics

cnr Norodom Blvd and 154 street

highly recommended; plus excellent & friendly staff

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
15,951 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good optical shop for glasses

Thanks for the info. I always get mine made at the eye care shop on the 3rd floor of Sorya Mall. Takes a little over an hour and for a really nice set of frames(I don't do designer) and the lenses I only paid $35. The designer frames (frames alone) normally start at $40, and transition and bifocals will of course be more...

Edited for clappy spelling...

Edited: 24 January 2010, 15:51
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
207 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good optical shop for glasses

I have used Grand Optics also and was very happy. 2 sets of glasses inc frames and lenses for $85. I can also recommend. I bought my own script from home which they filled no problem

sydney
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: good optical shop for glasses

Yeh great shop indeed , i don't wear glasses except sunglasses but took a script over there for my friend with an old set of frames and got one pair of clear lenses in the old frames and one pair of prescription sunglasses with similar frames , total cost was USD$45 that was over 4 years ago , my friend couldn't believe the price.

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
11,817 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good optical shop for glasses

Hello Lamilla,

You made a good choice.

I have been using Grand Optic for years now - not for myself - but for the various Khmers I have had vision/refraction tested there and corrective lenses made up for them. A simple present such as this makes a huge change to their lives in nearly every case.

Sou Chan Rith, the owner of Grand Optic received his optometric training in Singapore and you can book to be tested by him personally if you wish. However, the day to day operation of the practice is conducted by Khmer graduates from the Royal University in Phnom Penh.

As already stated by other posters, the service is excellent, friendly and quick and english skills are high.

Uncomplicated refractive lenses are quickly attended to in the practice. Until quite recently, though, compound lenses had to be made to prescription in Singapore but the turnaround time was within the week from memory. This may still be the case given the mega bucks required for such computerised and complex lens making machinery.

I also seem to recall that he has at least one other shop not far away and I think a couple of others.

I once lost my expensive Australian multi-focal spectacles standing under the waterfall at Phnom Kulen - Dont ask! The local optometry technician at Siem Reap, Mr. SOK Nak, whose small shop front home is just down from and opposite the Red Piano Guesthouse, had me back to full vision a couple of hours later. But this was free of charge as I have for many years now been supporting , as one of my activities in Cambodia, seven Australian skills-enhanced Khmer eye surgeons and an optometry technician, Mr. Sok Nak.

With all best regards. Ian

5. Re: good optical shop for glasses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2010, 11:46