We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying alcohol

australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
buying alcohol

Is it worth buying duty free alcohol in Australia, or can you buy it for similar prices once in Cambodia. Also, do they have some reasonable wines, and what sort of prices are they.

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
11,778 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buying alcohol

Hello Dreamtimeaustralia.

I think that this will answer your questions.

Cambodia is awash in liquor and wines.

Cheapest alchol in SEA.

Don't take coals to Newcastle!

And remember that each adult over 18 years of age can bring back to Australia 2.25 litres!

Best regards. Ian

“ Liquor - Indicative Liquor Prices ”

Jul 31, 2010, 9:26 PM

Cambodia has a very low tax on liquor. As such, it really is not worth the bother of bringing in duty free liquor for consumption during your time in country. In addition, the regular, in-shop prices of many spirits are lower than those in the airport duty free shops at Phnom Penh and Siem Reap when you leave the country.

The prices below are correct as at 30 July 2010 and were priced at the Lucky Supermarket chain in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap. Slightly cheaper prices may be found elsewhere but what you save you have probably already spent on motodop or tuk tuk fares looking for the saving in most cases.

Gin: Bombay Saphire, 100cl. $13-40.;Gordon’s London Dry, 75cl.$9-05 and 100cl. $10-95; Lordson (French), 75cl. $4-20.; Gilbey’s 75cl. $7-65.; Sir Robert Burnett’s Dry London, 75cl. $9-00.

Vodka: Smirnoff Premium/Red, 75 cl. $8-05.; Ruskov, 75cl. $4-20.; Smirnoff Orange, 75cl. $9-05.; Absolut, 100cl. $12-50.; Burnett’s, 750cl. $7-25.

Whisky: Teachers, 70cl. $9-85.; Hunting Lodge, 100cl. $8-05.; The Queen’s Seal, 75cl. $6-85.; The Talisman, 70cl. $5-80.; Scottish Leader Blue, 32 years old, 75cl. $187-50; Famous Grouse, 75cl. $10-55.; Dewars, 75cl. $10-05.;J&B, 75cl. $11-50.

Cognac: Remy Martin VSOP, 70cl. $31-60; Courvoiser, VSOP Exclusif, 70cl. $35-25.; Courvoiser Premier, 70cl. $59-20.; Otard XO Gold, 70cl. $90.

Otard Extra FineCognac, 70cl. $42-60.; Hennessy VSOP 100cl/1 litre, $58-05.;Brandy: Napoleon/Bonsard, 5 years old, 70 cl. $4-55.; Christian Brothers, VS, 75ml. $11-50.

Rum: Negrita, 100cl. $14-85.; Saint James (Martinique) Golden, 100cl. $17-75.

Others: Bailey’s Original. 1 litre/100cl. $13-30.; Bailey’s Mint Chocolate, 100 cl/1 litre. $16-30.; Bailey’s Crème Caramel, 1 litre/100cl. $16-30.

Cointreau, 700 ml. $14-40. Grand Marnier, 700 ml. $17-65. Jack Daniels, 70cl. $18-00. Midori Green 700ml. $14-20.; Martini Extra Dry, 100 cl. $9-05.

Wines, from France, Australia, Chile, Spain and elsewhere, are too numerous to list but are equally as cheap.

All best regards. Ian

Edited: 10 February 2011, 12:40
Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,485 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buying alcohol

When we were there last year we were wondering why we were the only people walking in with duty free! Soon found out. As Ian says wait until you are there and then simply buy if from the supermarket. They have everything!

Regards

Suzi

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
16,520 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buying alcohol

...and beers to re-stock your minibar are 60c/can upwards in the supermarket. Draught beers in /around Pub St from 50c

Though some establishments 'mark' their cans (beers & soft drinks) to stop people drinking from the minibar and then replenishing. Look for tell-tale marks if this is your plan

cheers

helen

Edited: 10 February 2011, 14:16
Banlung, Cambodia
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: buying alcohol

Sometimes I have had doubts about your priorities, Ian.

They have all been laid to rest. Giving the fans what they need...

'sheeed

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
11,778 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: buying alcohol

Hello Sheed.

I provide accurate, factual, information in response to posters questions.

Oh that some others could say the same.

Rgds. Ian

Edited: 11 February 2011, 02:51
australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: buying alcohol

thanks everyone for your help. Definately will not bother with duty free after your prices quoted, why carry anything not necessary

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: buying alcohol

Such an impressive list of alcohol options!

Thanks for the effort Ian but as my husband enjoys Jim Beam (preferably Black Label) I wondered if that was readily available as it doesn't appear in your post?

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
11,778 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: buying alcohol

Hullo HarleyB,

I kid you not, there is a very wide range of liquors in Cambodia.

I only jotted down some of the main stream tipples and some lesser ones my wife and daughter like to use as toppings (?) (more like floatation) of their evening ice creams in the Sydney summer months!

Plenty of Jim Beam but as i don't touch the stuff I didn't record it or note which colours. If the one is there then the other will be too. If not in one liquor outlet it will be in the next.

Now here is an oddity. I love a certain rum from Martinique but I have to go to totally seperate shops, well spaced apart, to get a bottle of the golden rum and a bottle of the white rum from the same plantation. And then, they are in different sized bottles!

For some odd reason my supplies of Kampot peppers always last far long than my grog supplies from Cambodia. There is possibly a good Honours Thesis in this phenomenom!

All best regards. Ian

Edited: 13 February 2011, 10:15
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: buying alcohol

Thanks for that - he'll be happy to know that Jim Beam is available!

I'll leave the Honours Thesis for someone else but I too have experienced that phenomenon. I've never understood it either. ;-)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
82 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: buying alcohol

How much wine can we bring into the country if we wanted to?

Thanks.