We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Im in the very early stages of planning a trip - help please

Te Anau, New Zealand
7 posts
Save Topic
Im in the very early stages of planning a trip - help please

Hello!

I am at the beginning of a 3 or 4 week trip, I was thinking of flying from NZ to Hong Kong for a quick look around (4 or 5 days), to Vietnam (2 weeks?), to Cambodia (5 - 7 days?) , Laos (a few days), and finish off in Thailand, maybe Koh Samui for a bit of relaxation before we head home via a day or two in Bangkok.

It would be me and my husband travelling, we would look at staying at good backpackers in a nice double room, or cheaper hotels. I really have no idea about the best way to get around, the range of accomodation or how much things will cost.

I would love if anybody could give me any advice and please tell me all the must do's while I am there!

Please help me build a fantastic itinerary!

Cheers

Alannah

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Im in the very early stages of planning a trip - help please

Alannah - to start with l think you are trying to cram too much in, just my opinion!

But if wanting advice on Cambodia - sadly you have left the best with not enough time, but if thats all you';ve got, just go to Siem Reap and Phnom Penh. no less that 3 whole days for Siem REap and no less than two full days for PP. Even though they deserve more!!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,135 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Im in the very early stages of planning a trip - help please

Skip Laos if you only have a few days, and add it onto Thailand beachtime. Also give Samui a miss (too touristy) and check out some of the places down south, Ko Lanta for example.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,529 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Im in the very early stages of planning a trip - help please

Hi alannah,

hope Te Anau isn't suffering under that horrible storm that's hitting NZ at the moment.

I agree with Ann that 5-7 days isn't going to allow you to do justice to Cambodia but it might just whet your appetite for a return trip. 3 days in SR (get a 3 day temple pass) and the rest in PP - though getting the bus ($12 and about 6 hours)from PP to SR will eat up half a day - though it will give you a chance to see a bit of the country side.

I'd be inclined just to concentrate on 2 places - Cambodia and Vietnam or Cambodia and Laos - being on the move so much doesn't really make for a relaxing holiday.

do check out the Top Questions about Cambodia expecially the R+FAQ page which has links (at the bottom of the page) to the Canby Publications website (best online guide for Cambodia) and Travelfish - both these sites will give you great info - Canby has links to accommodation too

happy planning

helen

Te Anau, New Zealand
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Im in the very early stages of planning a trip - help please

Thank you!

Thats why I asked here, I dont really have too much of a clue yet, so if its as good as you guys say it is I will defenitley add a few more days. I was basically doing Laos simply because its in the vicinity, if you think my time will be better spent in Cambodia I am defenitley open to that! What else do you suggest?

Also can you give me a rough cost per day if we are just doing everything middle of the range?

And yes, the storm is defenitley hitting, the wind is blowing a gale, and I saw a bit of snow in amongst the rain on my way home from work - maybe it will be white tomorrow morning... fingers crossed!

Thank you for your help so far, keep it coming!

sydney,australia
Level Contributor
193 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Im in the very early stages of planning a trip - help please

there are many budget accommodations in siem reap for US$ 35 (walk in)try central boutique angkor hotel(www.centralboutiqueangkorhotel.com).it is close to everything in SR and has swimming pool.tuk tuks to tour angkor temples are $16 a day ( 3 day temple pass $40 at entrance) tuk tuk will take you back to hotel for lunch and a swim then back in cool of afternoon to temples.just remember that the driver is not allowed to be your guide but you can buy a travel guide book for $5 anywhere in siem reap.two "must do" in SR are to blow the budget and go to raffles apasara terrace for their evening "apsara"dance show. and if in SR on a saturday night go to the javerman 7 childrens hospital for the swiss doctor "dr beatocello"s free 1 hour concert/lecture on childrens health in cambodia.his dvd "your money or your blood ($10) is a fitting momento for your cambodia visit

if you are flying into saigon to start your trip,go to sinh travel (www.thesinhtourist.vn) and book a 3 day/2 night tour of the mekong delta and FAST BOAT extension to phnom penh.basic 1 star accommodation-clean with hot showers. for US$ 60 per person it is the best value in vietnam! go to their office at 248 de tham st in district 1 to book as their are many false companies using their name.

6. Re: Im in the very early stages of planning a trip - help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 September 2010, 07:35
7. Re: Im in the very early stages of planning a trip - help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2011, 11:05