We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

average wage cambodia - want to give a gift

australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
average wage cambodia - want to give a gift

Hi Can someone tell me the average wage in Cambodia. We travelled there in Feb this year, and had a wonderful guide. I have kept in contact with him, and would like to send a small gift of money for Christmas, but I am unsure how much to send.

Thanks for any help.

pHNOM pENH
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: average wage cambodia - want to give a gift

The average wage for workers in The city is $60/100.00 per Month , self employed workers such as tuk-tuk driver will earn more than that as an average .

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
648 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: average wage cambodia - want to give a gift

Tour guides average wage is around $300 a month. (A fairly busy guide in Siem Reap)

It's nice of you to think of him in this way.

If you're going to send cash via the mail, you may have a problem. Be sure to register it or it won't get there for sure.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,181 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: average wage cambodia - want to give a gift

Hi Jacklyn

tuk tuk drivers only earn money when they have passengers so I really think the quote of $300 p/m will be only for those who have a 'position' outside a hotel and no competition. We were in Cambodia in September and our driver had not had any 'guests'(or income) for almost 2 weeks.

We are sending $$ to our driver to pay his daughters 'english' school fees (US$8 per month) in 6 monthly installments through Western Union. It costs about $20 to send it hence the bigger transfers. Suwan's daughter is 7 so we plan on sending this for many years to come.

When you send money with WU you get a 10 digit 'code' - simply email that to your friend and he takes that code and his ID into any WU office in Siem Reap and collects the cash.

The other think you might conisder is sending business cards (or other gifts) over with someone - I have a colleague taking some over for me in the Xmas holidays. We asked Suwan if he had a card (so we could pass on his details when asked for a recommendation) and he said that to get them printed in siem Reap was very very expensive. I found a place in Parramatta that will print 250 cards for about $40 - I'm happy to find a way to get a box delivered once a year (or more)if necessary.

hope this helps

Helen

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,181 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: average wage cambodia - want to give a gift

... be good if I read things properly!

$60p/m for worker sounds about right as does $300 for a busy guide - the going rate for guides is about $25 per day (but then how much do they get and how much does the hotel or an agency get is another question)

I heard $3 per day for restaurant workers and people checking tickets at the angkor park entrance.

Helen

Tokyo
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: average wage cambodia - want to give a gift

Through my estimation, a tourist guide in Cambodia earns USD300-500/ month. The amount varies from slow season to peak season. It is actually considered medium salary in Cambodia.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: average wage cambodia - want to give a gift

For more information:

I have been living in Cambodia for more than ten years, so I can figure these out.

A middle class cambodian spend USD0.5-USD1 for a meal, USD1-5/month for clothes, USD5-10 for cellphone/ month, USD10-30 for monthly electricity for a family of 4, USD5-10/month for running water for a family of 4, and etc.

It is very nice of you to do this.

amsterdam
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: average wage cambodia - want to give a gift

I met a lovely girl in Cambodia about 3 years ago but I never had the money to send until now and since I have staying in touch with her I am really happy to be able to send her somthing through Western Union. She sent me the details and her I.D etc.. and I am earning euros at the moment and I know her scooter is knackered and has been for over a year and I want to send enough to fix the scooter, which I have guessed at $200, but my mate says this is too much, can the guy that has lived there for 10 years comment on what it might cost, I figure even if it is broken $200 should recover it or she would have thrown it away.. I dunno really. Anyway I was going to send $300 and then try and send a bit next month. I plan o go back at xmas if possible, it will be nice to catchup. After reading some of you guys comments it has made me feel 'okay'about sending money and I would really like it if I could help her get some kind of education.

I really love Cambodia and I have learnt alot about recent history there and love to learn about the social characteristics of the Cambodians, they are so much fun and a real genuine people.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,143 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: average wage cambodia - want to give a gift

Helen,

Whoa! Good quality, two sided, well printed, bi-lingual,Khmer-English business cards are easily obtained in Phnom Penh at circa US$7. per hundred.

But ask to proof read the draft prior to printing.

Pay on acceptance/delivery.

I get mine in 360 Street, across from the Sydney Hotel. Just ask Khom she gets cards made up for NGO guests at the hotel at the same place.

Cheaper cards are available through the street-side services but you get what you pay for and have no recourse with these people.

All best regards. Ian

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,143 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: average wage cambodia - want to give a gift

Helen,

The Australian-Khmer Community in Sydney has had its own money transfer system running parallel with Western Union and the banks for some years now. It is cheaper, just as secure and equally or even faster than the alternatives. It certainly beats using Registered Mail which frequently "gets lost" in the Cambodian Postal system from the moment of arrival. The banks can't compete given the $$ charges to remit in AU and the $$ deductions made by any Intermediary Bank/s and the receipient bank. If you have the Hand Phone number of the intended beneficiary it is very quick indeed for most locations, remote areas excepted. It is especially fast for Phnom Penh and the Siem Reap region.

The system is run by Khmers for Khmers but anyone wishing to securely send money to Cambodia is welcome to use it. For periodic payments such as school course fees etc it sure beats the alternatives.

It operates out of the Wollies complex in Cabramatta but you need the shop number to locate it.

If interested, please send me an off post PM and I will give you the name and number to contact.

All best regards. Ian

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: average wage cambodia - want to give a gift

I personally don't advocate sending cash to people, as you never know exactly how it's going to be used. Send a guy $20 and he might go out and spend it on drinks with his buddies, you never know. Send them your best wishes, and on your return trip bring them some necessities for their home that you can buy at the local markets.