We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to spend in Phnom Penh

Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
How long to spend in Phnom Penh
Save

Hi,

We are trying to book a stay in Phnom Penh and Tatai village (Koh Kong). Has any one been to both?

We are thinking one day (two night) in Phnom Penh and for nights (3 days) in Tatai.

Would this be enough time in Phnom Penh?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18,314 posts
5 reviews
12 helpful votes
1. Re: How long to spend in Phnom Penh
Save

Hello Claire Horne

Only you can answer your own question by matching your interests against what is available in Phnom Penh and environs.

Some people, simply can't stand Phnom Penh, usually those that have read little or nothing about the city and it's history and fail to look at this fascinating smaller Asian capital city as a whole city.

Others, such as myself, find it a fascinating place and can happily spend weeks at a time there and return to the city time after time, year after year, given the richness of what is on offer there and the very rapid pace of change there as the city transforms in to a modern city retaining it's uniquely Cambodian persona.

I was in Phnom Penh twice in September and will be back on 31st of this month in preparation for that great peoples spectacle and holiday, Bon Om Tuk, the Water Festival.

Best regards. Ian/Angkorlad

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
2,593 reviews
756 helpful votes
2. Re: How long to spend in Phnom Penh
Save

I'm another who has spent weeks at a time in PP. You'd hardly scratch the surface with 1 day there.

Sen Monorom...
Level Contributor
647 posts
233 reviews
100 helpful votes
3. Re: How long to spend in Phnom Penh
Save

Phnom Penh is filled with some incredible historical sights such as the Royal Palace and Wat Phnom. There are depressing sights like Tuol Sleng and the Killing Fields, that in my opinion must be seen, and of course cultural gems like the National Museum.

Add to that some fantastic architecture, incredible markets including the Central Market, Russian Market and Night Market and great streets to wander around including along the riverside and its easy to spend several days in Phnom Penh. They also have a wide array of excellent restaurants serving all types of cuisine.

But as others have said - what are you interested in?

England
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
4. Re: How long to spend in Phnom Penh
Save

Hi Claire

I can't comment on Koh Kong but we have recently returned from 3 weeks in Cambodia. We originally had three and a half days scheduled for PP (the half day being the day we arrived) but once there decided to shave a day off and add it to Kampot instead.

i would say you should definitely have 2 full days at least. One for more central exploring - Royal Palace & Silver Pagoda, riverfront area and streets radiating off there, markets, Wat Phnom, museum (all depending on your interests).. A second day for the Genocide Museum and Killing Fields (in that order) - an absolute must but probably enough for one day as it takes quite a toll mentally and emotionally..

There are trips you can do further afield, have a read up.

As with all travel, it's a juggling act of trying to fit in as much as you can in the limited time available (unless you plan to return). but I'd say 2 days is the minimum.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
5. Re: How long to spend in Phnom Penh
Save

I am not a particular fan of PP myself as not really into big cities and as you are probably aware from your previous posts I have spent a lot of time in the Koh Kong area

You are not comparing apples with pears here and Only you can decide if you want the big city or the tranquility of the Cardamons. Tatai is a beautiful spot by the river with good accomodation

All I can say is that there is more than enough to do in PP to fill a couple of days

Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
6. Re: How long to spend in Phnom Penh
Save

Thank you everyone.

We are a bit split as my boyfriend prefers the countryside and I like spending some time in a city and seeing the sights.

Would 1 and a half days be enough to see some of the things you have mentioned? How long does the killing Fields take?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam, Hanoi
Level Contributor
14,675 posts
7. Re: How long to spend in Phnom Penh
Save

"How long does the killing Fields take?"

Tuol Sleng and the killing fields will take most of a day.

Don't rush it, and don't expect to want to do much after it.

It's not an easy day.

But it's important.

Scott

8. Re: How long to spend in Phnom Penh

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2020, 10:11
Get answers to your questions about Cambodia
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.