We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Baku

Karachi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
23 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Baku

hi,

I am planning to travel to baku by 24th Nov fro a week . my request to whom have already experienced Baku ,

1) is the place expensive?

2) how is the Hotel and food on street cost ?

3) shopping ?

4) what are the places to see ?

5) what to experience in term of new food , visit etc etc ?

most importantly , the weather in NOV ?

i appreciate if some one can share his/her experience ,staying in baku. i am yet to decide hotel .

Thank you in advance

Aijaz Yousaf

8 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Baku

Hi Yousaf

I saw your other post so thought I'd answer you here

The average costs are pretty accurate on numbeo,'expensive' is all relative I find.

https:/…

For weather it looks like 20 degrees celsius at that time in november but if you go to the mountains bring a big coat,gloves,hat etc https:/…27103

It's a very safe city I actually used public bathrooms by the oldcity and saw people leave their ipads/phones outside the cubicle...I was worried going but it's not an intense city.Its also very clean,modern but has character.

I stayed at the oldeast hotel in the old city,it was just inside the old walls so close to the main metro and the tourist sites. Staff arranged a transfer for me for $15 each way from the airport.I think it cost $30 a night and was good for me -nice,safe,quiet,no restaurant except at breakfast but good restaurants like muse cafe beside it,a small shop next to it for snacks..very central to everything which was nice. The main shopping streets were 3 minutes walk away.

I travelled solo so I used mytours and tes tours for group style day trips. They're very close to the oldeast hotel and I think if you email them they will arrange private drivers etc

Baku day tour cost me in a group with a guide $30 for 8 hours with tes tours we went to the mud volcanos,fire mountain,fire temple,the conference centre and a beautiful mosque.

(Nb some of these places are on different sides of the city and I've heard of drivers not taking people up the rough road to the mud volcanoes so if you go privately to them make sure the driver will take you up the mountain or its a long hard road...dangerous to walk alone)

On the second day there I went to the highest mountain in Europe xinalug but I imagine it's very cold there now, also there was a couple there from pakistan that said the views were average for pakistan but I enjoyed it.

On my last day there I walked in 20 minutes to the flame towers funicular from my hotel and took the $1 trip up to look over the city, walked down from them through a lovely park to the carpet museum and passed a fun family thing called little venice(a tiny boat ride for kids mainly).I then returned to the old city were I went to maiden tower(a lot of steps) in the old city and the shahs palace(very interesting)

At night there were restaurants near my hotel so I stayed near them but I know there were bars and clubs I just wasn't interested in them.

There was like an islamic museum/centre beside the old city gates but I didn't visit because I'd no time. I loved it there slight mix of asia-europe,muslim-christian orthodox,lots of good food and people were polite and were happy with small tips and a nice attitude..

Enjoy it if you go

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Baku

Ps if you stay at old east hotel I upgraded my room to the better one with a balcony which I think was best. They very kindly also let me use a budget room on my last day as my flight was late at night for free so I could shower,charge my phone it was nice but for $5 extra take the prettiest rooms

Karachi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
23 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Baku

i appreciate and thank you for sharing your views and i think my said it all what i was looking for . new interesting things i must visit as you mentioned.

you said it ll.

be happy and GOD bless you

Karachi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
23 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Baku

Hi, I forgot to ask you , what about Internet , by data sim / phone sim. what do you advise ?

shall i buy sim from airport or from local market ?

thanks

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Baku

Hi Aijaz!

I was in Baku last month and I d love to help you with this!

Is the place expensive?: Not at all! The conversion + prices makes it an attractive destination for tourism. Uber is extremely accessible being less than 6€ ride from the airport to town. The rest of the commutes within the city are as cheap as this. We went on a bar night out and spent €70 between a group of 7 having 6 pints each. You can apply this rule to all, food and coffee are extremely expensive.

Food on street is extremely cheap. We had a massive dinner in the old town, it was a perfect experience but of course overpriced as it was a touristic zone.

I stayed in an Airbnb big enough for 16 people as we were a big group and it was extremely well located. Super comfortable and true to old style. Here is the link https://abnb.me/EVmg/W0zqYY9IPH

I did not shop here but in regards to a guide on what to see, I believe the list here on Trip Advisor is the guide to everything you have to visit. I also made a list here on my blog that you can translate https:/…

I personally believe the Old Town is the most beautiful part of Baku and, also, the Heydar Aliyev cultural center.

We also made our way to Yanar Dag which is a place in the outside of the town where there is a mountain with a natural gas leak that once caught on fire and never went off. Its not huge but it was interesting to visit. I say that if you are lucky enough to see it surrounded by snow you ll be amazed by it!

There is no data on mobiles and the access to wifi is limited to none. I did not buy a sim but I strongly suggest you get one not to get lost. People in Baku do not generally speak fluent english and they did not seem eager to help me with directions.

Hope this helps!

Karachi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
23 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Baku

Hi travelita,

its extremely help full information . Thank you very much . i think i take your advise and to see must see places . even princes A was also kind enough to help me out.

as far cell sim is concern , i also believe to buy sim in case of lost . good you shed some light of food , actually i like to eat street food rather than using restaurants or the hotel i would be staying . i red Icheri sheher city is good to see. the old and ancient city is located the mid of baku.

tell me one more thing , is there any good to buy souvenir ?

hope you have enjoyed our trip . I am trying to book either in holiday inn or Hilton . lets see .

let me open the link "Airbnb" to see. how much did they charged you per night?

thank you and stay in touch

bye

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Baku

I just re read my message and I said food/coffee are expensive, my mistake. I meant cheap haha.

Well, for souvenirs I would definitely recommend you buy in old town. I missed my chance hoping for cheaper places but I did not find any outside there. Maybe you can find one in the main shopping street?

There are a lot of antiques places in the old town where you ll definitely get unique souvenirs but you have to fight for the price. You can get cheap stuff for sure :)

https://admin.airbnb.com/rooms/6976255 This is the listing. We paid 100€ per night for a big group of 6. Its cheaper if you are less people Iguess.

Hope this helps!

Karachi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
23 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to Baku

Thank you . the supplied information would be very helpful.

thanks

Reply to: Traveling to Baku
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Baku