We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baku - some recommendations

London, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
Baku - some recommendations

We just got back from a trip to Baku & I am seriously thinking why is Baku not on many bucket lists. Its a delightful place & ever since obtaining visa has been made simpler for quite a few nations, I think tourism is definitely on a rising trend. There's something for all ages there - even my 8 year old daughter had a great time. We were there for only 4 days so we decided to concentrate mostly on Baku & surrounding areas. Here are my recommendations:

1. Places to visit - Old Town, Sirvanshah Palace, Heydar Alive Centre (architect - Zaha Hadid), Carpet museum, the Bulvar, Qobustan Rock Art, Mud volcanoes, Oil fields ( as made famous by 007 'Th eWorld is not enough")

2. We stayed at the JW Marriott, Baku. Would definitely recommend it as its a great hotel, has some good restaurants & has a fabulous spa

3. And lastly if you need a car to take you around the places outside of Baku - would recommend a gentleman called Kanan ( WhatsApp +994 50 231 12 42) - very helpful and professional, knows his way around Baku & has some fabulous anecdotes & stories to tell. He made several helpful suggestions to fine tune our itinerary & his local knowledge was very helpful.

We had a great trip to Baku & would definitely recommend a trip there. Will not be surprised if it becomes a trending destination in the coming years

Guided Azerbaijan
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
AzTerra Travel
City Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Azerbaijan Traveller
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Walking Tours
Private Tours Azerbaijan
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Eco Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
12 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
39 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Baku - some recommendations

Marriott would definitely be a better area to stay, in my opinion. It's situated near the boulevard and you could walk along the coast towards the Old City and the town area. Fairmont is kind of on a hill, and must be quite a hassle getting around. There would definitely be more eating options near Marriott as well (I love this Russian place called Mari Vanna near the Marriott, try it out!).

You've got to bargain with the cab drivers, especially when it's fairly obvious that you're a tourist. I don't think metered cabs can really be trusted as well. I'd use the 189 service, they've got english-speaking operators. Or Uber is widely used in Baku as well. A trip with 189/Uber is around 3-5 Manat, which converts to about $3 max.

I'm not sure what's your idea of a decent restaurant, but a typical pasta dish would cost no more than 20 manat ($11). Eating is generally not an expensive affair in Azerbaijan.

3 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Baku - some recommendations

Thanks - do you suggest we carry dollars with us and convert to thebloca currency at the airport ?

Reply to: Baku - some recommendations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Baku