We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
269 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Currency

Is it better to change the dong in Vietnam or england knowing that the english pound is very low at the moment? How many dongs can you take into Vietnam and how many you aloud out? We are thinking of taking 1800 english pounds for 18 nights, thats just spending as all of our trips flights have been booked any advice, i did tell my partner that was way to much to take hes never been to se asia before, please advise and thank-you

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,356 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency

You can take up to $5000USD I believe. I only know this because someone was charged with trying to bring in more than that, but there may have been other circumstances attached to it. You can probably bring more but you are suppose to declare it.You can take it all home with you.

1800 pounds is not too much for 2 of you , but you will probably go home with a fair bit if you spend it wisely.

It doesn't matter where you are in the world , your currency is worth the same on the money markets ,however money exchangers in the UK as in Australia and elsewhere, will gouge you .So change all your money in Vietnam as you need to.

I would take half in cash and half on plastic for security

You can get enough to get started as you leave customs at the airport. You can change money at most banks and gold shops. I noticed some of the banks in dist 1 in the tourist areas will not change money and the money exchanges were not offering good rates ,so you maybe be better off further afield.

Edited: 02 April 2016, 05:56
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
269 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency

Thanks for the reply

Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency

1800 pounds sounds like a ridicules amount to take to Vietnam, unless you are planning to do a LOT of shopping, the average day trip is around 25 pound, and unless you are planning to go all in on food, I doubt that will be more than maybe 20-30 pound pr. day(local cusine is like 1-2 pr. meal). Also bringing so much cash, will make it even worse in case you get robbed, and doubt your insurance will cover that much cash...

Me and the gf is going for 14 days, and we will be bringing 600 euros with us, and will let our plastic cards cover the rest:)

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
269 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency

Thanks for the advice

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
235 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency

Much better to change your pounds into Dong here. For that amount of money you can have a great time here.Enjoy your stay.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
269 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency

Thanks

7. Re: Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2017, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Nha Trang
Recent Conversations