We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dry Cleaning Silk

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Dry Cleaning Silk

My wife is curious to know if anyone has ever had a silk dress dry cleaned in Nha Trang? If so, was it cleaned properly and returned in good condition? What's the approximate charge for something like that? Thanks in advance of any replies.

Richard

Mentioned in this post
Nha Trang
Nha Trang
Khanh Hoa Province, Vietnam
Hon Mun Island Half-Day Snorkeling...
31 Reviews
from US$ 25.00*
Free Cancellation
Nha Trang Sunset Cocktails and Dinner...
9 Reviews
from US$ 90.00*
Free Cancellation
Half-Day Nha Trang Island Jetski Tour
3 Reviews
from US$ 205.90*
Free Cancellation
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dry Cleaning Silk

My wife had a 80 years old baptism dress dry cleaned in Nha Trang. It came out nicely. Would I have done it? No way. They ruin it, you pay for it, that's the Vietnamese way. A dress can be replaced, the item my wife had cleaned has been in my family for 80 years.

I don't remember the charge, it was peanuts.

6 Lê Lợi.

Edited: 10 December 2015, 04:38
Mentioned in this post
Nha Trang
Nha Trang
Khanh Hoa Province, Vietnam
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dry Cleaning Silk

Thanks Jim,

Yes, no price is worth having a garment destroyed. I once had a relatively inexpensive polo shirt destroyed by the 5* Windsor Hotel in Dist. 5 a few years back. It was a colored shirt and they wash it in bleach, hung it up in my closet when I was out. When I came back to room, I checked only to see if they returned the correct number of pieces and found the shirt destroyed. Housekeeping wanted to take the shirt back to see if they could fix it (after washing in bleach) - LOL! Same result- no compensation for destroying my shirt, not even a nickel off the hotel room rate.

My kit now days is all 100% polyester or nylon, quick drying. My wife washes in the tub, hangs it up in the room and it's dry a couple hours later. I will have a couple light wool pullovers for the upcoming trip in the mountains. Not sure how I'll handle those. No hotel will be getting them either. Regards,

Richard

Edited: 10 December 2015, 05:15
Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
10,704 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dry Cleaning Silk

I have always washed silk shirts by hand then laid them over a big white towel to dry and out of direct sunlight to protect the silk fabric.

I wouldn't dream of using drycleaning fluids on silk.

Remember it's formerly a liquid from the silk worm and not a vegetable fibre like cotton or rayon so more delicate to take care of.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dry Cleaning Silk

Pierre,

I understand what you are saying but there are many references to silk that can only be dry cleaned. I think it depends on the silk as some can only be washed.

Many, many years ago, I bought a nice 100% silk shirt which had a label specifically indicating 'Dry Clean Only'. Even today, there are silk garments manufactured that can only be dry cleaned. The problem comes in to play when a garment is made without a care label, as is often the case with tailor made products made in Asia. Regards,

Richard

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Asia
World
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dry Cleaning Silk

Pierre,

Also, thanks for educating me on rayon. All this time I thought rayon was synthetic and it's a natural fiber made from wood pulp! Amazing what you can learn here on TA :-) Regards,

Richard

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
10,704 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dry Cleaning Silk

Forget rayon and start wearing Bamboo. It is the most amazingly soft fabric.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14,938 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dry Cleaning Silk

For quite some years when working/serving in Malay and again in Singapore I wore raw silk shitrs and all were washed vigorously by hand by my Dhobi wallah or my Amah and just hung up inside to drip dry. The more they were washed the more wonderful they became to wear and the softer the silk became. They long outlasted my batik shirts.

Best regards. Ian

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dry Cleaning Silk

That's what I did to 12 silk shirts made to order in Hoi An. The seams lasted about 10 washings. That marked the end of my having anything done by tailors here.

I get much better quality buying off the rack in Scandinavia as I usually don't need any alterations. They have quality control and return policies.

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14,938 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dry Cleaning Silk

Jim,

Experience has taught me to buy nothing more in Hoi An. The cut and the fit seldom looks correct once back in AU and it does not last the distance.

Best regards. Ian

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
10. Re: Dry Cleaning Silk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2016, 10:48