We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dam Market to disappear in its current form

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Dam Market to disappear in its current form

…baomoi.com/Home/…373036.epi

I was told of these plans two years ago, and now things seem to get moving.

Not a great loss in my opinion. But I fear that the demolition and construction of new apartments and a new market will leave the area in chaos and ruins for quite a few years. When I hear "shareholders meeting" in Vietnam I think lots of enthusiasm, but as soon as they run out of money, the quality goes down the drain. Song Da Corp has a poor track record.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
8,933 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Dam Market to disappear in its current form

What a pity, indeed.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
2. Re: Dam Market to disappear in its current form

I don't know, time may be running out for the traditional markets in larger towns and cities. There's a reason people in much of the rest of the world go to supermarkets. Hygiene, prices, quality come to mind. I don't think Vietnam is quite there yet, but it will happen eventually. As much as I enjoy the ambience on the market, I much prefer shopping in the supermarket where I don't have to haggle over the price of the simplest of items. And i know that many local Vietnamese feel the same way.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
4,773 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Dam Market to disappear in its current form

After Tesco arrival in Koh Samui only the network of the small shops 7/11 survived..

Not that I was pleased to pay everything double price at the local store..

And Nha Trang is not so bad, in Mui Ne even the mini market double the price of water.

One single medium size market will kill them all.

At least Dam Market was the best place in south Vietnam to buy original RayBan ^^__^^..

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
68 reviews
4. Re: Dam Market to disappear in its current form

I hope you are not right Jim. To me a market is the heart and soul of a city especially food markets. We have the Victoria Market in Melbourne which they have been threatening for years to modernize but thank God it is built on the site of a graveyard and apparently can't be developed. Although many bodies were exhumed, some still remain. One visit here is testimony to the vast mix of cultures we have and the colours and sounds and variety of what you can buy, beat any supermarket hands down.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
10,199 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: Dam Market to disappear in its current form

This situation is typical of the malaise that VN finds itself in. Certainly supermarkets around the world have "dumbed down" local residents into accepting clean, well packaged rubbish described loosely as food.Markets on the other hand have flourished and have been a valuable asset added to every tourist area I can think of.

It is certainly a mistake to close down markets because of health concerns, like the Bo Khe restaurants in Mui Ne,all that is required is to educate and regulate.

VN needs to abandon just following the western model and create something different so that it becomes a destinatiuon of real difference instead of a plastic reproduction of something else found around the globe.

Cheers Ross

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,945 posts
35 reviews
6. Re: Dam Market to disappear in its current form

Dam market will be no great loss. Plenty of other smaller places around that are much better. I do think it will be there for a considerable time, no matter what they say in the papers.

7. Re: Dam Market to disappear in its current form

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2014, 10:49
Get answers to your questions about Nha Trang