We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nha Trang

Hanoi, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Nha Trang

I am not surprised to see Nha Trang to be written like this.

But Owee, I need your defense.

travelnewsvn.com/index.php…

Mentioned in this post
Nha Trang
Nha Trang
Khanh Hoa Province, Vietnam
vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,673 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nha Trang

Have a look at this.

Evason Ana Mandara & Six Senses Spa Nha Trang listed Asia’s Top 20 Resorts

Update at15:49, Thứ Ba, 16/11/2010 (GMT+7)

Evason Ana Mandara & Six Senses Spa Nha Trang has just chosen as one of Asia’s Top 20 Resorts in 2010 by Conde Nast Traveler, a US-based travel magazine.

The honor was voted by 26,000 readers of this prestigious magazine, basing on 5 norms, including cuisine, location, design, rooms and service.

Evason Ana Mandara & Six Senses Spa Nha Trang ranks the eighth in the list. The hotel also has been listed among Top 100 Resorts in the world for many times.

Mentioned in this post
Evason Ana Mandara Nha Trang
Evason Ana Mandara Nha...
1,283 Reviews
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Nha Trang
Nha Trang
Asia
Asia
World
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,832 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nha Trang

wow- that is very harsh, and after all owee's never-ending support and promotion of Nha Trang it will be a bitter blow to him...

I hope they can remedy it so they do not get back onto that list next year-

Mentioned in this post
Nha Trang
Nha Trang
Wollongong...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nha Trang

Ha Ha , they voted Newcastle in Australia as a top holiday spot and to be honest with you the place is a shi%hole and I wouldn't send my dog there , and I did live there for awhile till I woke up to myself .

Nha Trang has to be good owee lives there .

Mentioned in this post
Nha Trang
Nha Trang
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,579 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nha Trang

Wow!! In a way I can understand why the rating would be bad if it was based on limited criteria. It would have been helpul to read all of them so I could rebut or confirm. Criteria listed is " historic preservation and sustainable tourism to travel writing and archaeology." It is very unfortunate in my eyes that many of the old French colonial hotels were not preserved but torn down to be replaced by monsterous hotels, many of them under construction as can be seen in my blog.

In the past year, this city has been undergoing massive change, The main walkways were a mess of construction, and only recently, the Main beach area has started to be groomed daily by tractors.

I must assume that these "judges" were here to lay on a beech chair in front of their hotel in the middle of a city and rate according to their criteria of service and comfort. A person has to always keep in mind that Vietnam is still developing into a major tourist destination, and Nha Trang is arguably the best overall beach destinations. I cannot imagine how Mie Ne or Phu Quoc would be rated with some places having open sewers running into the ocean from their resort. At least that is no longer allowed here.

I can also imagine that part of the rating had t do with the interaction with the Vietnamese people. Just imagine how distastful they must have found it when some poor person trying to make a dollar approached them asking if they would buy some cigarettes or sunglasses.

In order to be listed this year, it must be assumed that these so called experts would have had to be here during the most heavily cosmetic construction this city has undergone in it's history. Only now are the projects being finished.

As far as I am concerned, The National Geographic Society is just another organization to be ignored like so many think tanks that do not have a clue of what the world is really about. I bet they did not even glance over their martinis and look at my beach area......Thankfully..... We do not want people like that up here.

Experts...... Hah!! I live and work on the beach in Nha Trang, and I am no expert! I can tell you one thing though. I prefer Vietnam beaches to Thailand's as they can be accessed without having to walk through some big privately owned resort.

Who would have thought I would ever defend the Main tourist area.... Huh!

Thanks Freaky.... Blush Blush

Owee

www.owee58.com

Edited: 18 November 2010, 11:18
Mentioned in this post
Nha Trang
Nha Trang
Phu Quoc Island
Phu Quoc Island
Kien Giang Province, Vietnam
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nha Trang

Owee - which Thai beaches are you referring to? It's actually very hard to get onto Mui Ne beach or Long Beach in Phu Quoc without going through a resort, whereas all the beaches I went to on Phuket were 100% accessible as the resorts are set back from the beach.

I'm no fan of Nha Trang, and I'd certainly put it behind Mui Ne, Phu Quoc, Ke Ga and Qui Nhon to name but 3. The place has been ruined by development. However I'm surprised Patong isn't on that list - it's horrible - and there are beach destinations in the UK (Blackpool for example) that make Nha Trang seem like paradise in comparison!

Mentioned in this post
Phu Quoc Island
Phu Quoc Island
Kien Giang Province, Vietnam
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Nha Trang
Nha Trang
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,579 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nha Trang

Wish I could retract what I said about the Thailand beaches. My comment was worded badly as it is based more on what I hear from travellers than 1st hand experience, and I am not a fan of heresay.

I am aware of how you personally feel about Nha Trang, but it has undergone a very heavy transformation in the last 18 months.... The girly massage places have been cleaned up, the police have been enforcing laws that never before were enforced. The parks and walkways are groomed and have undergone renewal.

I would suggest giving Nha Trang another look if you have not been here recently.

And I also agree with you that the VinPearl land sign is a bit much and am saddened by the beach front being over run by big corporate hotels. How long will I be able to hold onto my little piece of paradise?

You are correct about resort blocked Mui Ne, but I was was referring to city beaches as it seemed the article was also. Mui Ne over Nha Trang? Apples and Oranges. Ross and I will continue poking each other in the eye with that one ;)

Owee

www.owee58.com

Mentioned in this post
Nha Trang
Nha Trang
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
nha trang
Level Contributor
205 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Nha Trang

Looks like a pic of mui ne to me. I've NEVER seen NT that packed except for Tet while it's a regular sight in mui ne. They actually ranked Mui Ne/NT combined if you check out the official site.

…nationalgeographic.com/travel/…

Edited: 18 November 2010, 16:28
Mentioned in this post
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,579 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nha Trang

From the link you provided it looks like the rating was based on Mui Ne and not Nha Trang. (it seems we were a package deal) Hotels are not allowed on the beaches here and the write up does not reflect that, and yes, that is not a photo of Nha Trang because you will see no structures blocking the beach as in that photo.

Owee

www.owee58.com

Mentioned in this post
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Nha Trang
Nha Trang
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,847 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nha Trang

I was going to say how on earth could one say Nha Trang is as bad as Sihanoukville. But it is obvious that they are referring to Mui Ne which I would agree, you do need to go through resorts, hotels a lot of the times to get access to the beach.

Since my last visit to Nha Trang in 2007 it really has changed. The beach looked very good (even the people sunbathing I think would agree on that) considering it wasn't long after a major storm and flood had hit the area..

Would I return to Nha Trang? Yes. It's not perfect but given the range of activities on offer it'd got to be an ideal destination for families.

As for Nat Geo top rated destination. It might have nice scenery but any destination that has loads of sea gulls is bad news. Take an umbrella!

Mentioned in this post
Nha Trang
Nha Trang
Sihanoukville
Sihanoukville
Sihanoukville Province, Cambodia
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
10. Re: Nha Trang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 November 2010, 15:05