We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel from Nga Trang to Hoi An

On The Ground
Level Contributor
121 posts
24 reviews
Train travel from Nga Trang to Hoi An

I would like to know some information regarding the train ride from Nga Trang To Hoi An:

Three of us are looking at a train ride from Nga Trang to Hoi An and we would appreiate knowing the following:

1) Is the train ride comfortable? Is it bumpy? Noisy? Is the train airconditioned or not?

2) If we take the day train, what kind of seats are available- soft, sleeping seats or what other kinds?

3) If we take the night train, which seats should we book to provide the most comfortable travel?

3) How far is the train station from the town and how much would it cost to get there?

4) Any idea on the cost of a train ride to Hoi An?

Any information would be welcome.

4)

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
1. Re: Train travel from Nga Trang to Hoi An

TravellingStoneHenge,

I have travelled from HCMC to Hoi An on the overnight sleeper train and it was a great adventure. Don't expect the Eurostar and you will be OK. We went on the 1900 train from HCMC and it did stop in Nha Trang but we were asleep! We had soft sleepers and they we good - we used silk sleeping bags that you can pick up from the markets and these re great - plus a couple of sherberts.

See this link for all info on the trains. http://www.seat61.com/Vietnam.htm

We booked our tickets through Ha at Vietlandtravel on info@discovervietnam.com.vn

1) Yes it was comfortable, not bumpy at all, it wasn't noisy from other passangers but at each stop (there were only 3 I think) they play music before stopping and just after. Yes it was airconditioned.

2) see link www.seat61.com they have pictures.

3) definately have the airconditioned soft sleepers.

3) - the second 3...lol...not sure haven't been to Nha Trang.

4) I think we paid $40 from HCMC to Hoi An, the prices are on seat61.

Hope this helps with your planning. I am happy to send you some pictures if you PM me with your email address.

Lou

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
15,244 posts
74 reviews
2. Re: Train travel from Nga Trang to Hoi An

Take the night train, soft sleeper. Not much at all to see on the route. Not terribly clean, not terribly dirty either.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
25,449 posts
70 reviews
3. Re: Train travel from Nga Trang to Hoi An

Lou and Paul, I'd be fascinated to hear how you travelled to Hoi An on the train, since the train doesn't go there. Perhaps you meant you travelled to Da Nang, then took some other form of transport on to Hoi An. TravellingStoneHenge needs to be made aware of this before being disappointed when his/her planning goes adrift.

Soft sleeper would be the minimum level you would want to book for overnight. (I should note that we slept very poorly.) Take loo paper or equivalent and soap, they run out very quickly. May not even be any left by the time you board in Nha Trang. Also take drinks and snacks as they are not much in evidence on the train, besides the bottle of water supplied with the berth (which again may be missing by the time you get on in Nha Trang).

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
4. Re: Train travel from Nga Trang to Hoi An

YorkFoodie - yes we did go to Danang not Hoi An and then took the hotels transfer which I thought only took 30 minutes but it may have been more.

I don't recall any water in the berth. The drinks/snack guy on board came round quite often - maybe because he realised that we were drinking. The food lady came only once - maybe because we put our noses up at the fried unidentified food. We took some UHT milk with us and we had some small packets of cereal, yoghurts for the kids to fill them up in the evening and some biscuits from the supermarket.

Lou

dalyellup western...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Train travel from Nga Trang to Hoi An

we travelled in air con soft from hcmc to nha trang and found the train very grubby as the berths are material covered mattresses and not cleaned. we found it dirtier than indian trains and were surprised at this as the rest of vietnam is much cleaner than india in general. also the walls were grubby and sticky. if u don't mind roughing it it was OK, but i would definitely cover the bed before lying on it. we took hand sanitiser which was good especially for the 4 yo. take toilet paper and wipes also. the food looked pretty good, but if the rest of the train was anything to go by i'd hate to see the kitchen. just don't have high expectations. we paid $18AUD from HCMC to nha trang. good luck and enjoy your holiday. we loved it and will go back and visit the north next time.

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
6. Re: Train travel from Nga Trang to Hoi An

interesting to see how everyone travels on the train...

We had the silk sleeping bags, the hand sanitizer, we always have a stash of loo paper with us (1/2 roll). We also 'napalmed' the room with mortein surface spray. My friend said what ever you do don't look under the matteress!! Even after all of this we still had a great adventure on the train.

Lou

Pasadena, California
2 posts
7. Re: Train travel from Nga Trang to Hoi An

Try lookinh into 5star train travel and booking. If I were you, I would just fly there to the airpot nearby in gar min(don't have spelling ) for around $100 per way on Vietnam airlines. They have flights 3-4 times per week and you will save a lot of aggravation especilly since the cab fares are very reasonable at atound 60 cents per kilometer or $1 per mile. Nga Trang itself really does not warrant ore than 3 nights and you can see pretty much everything in that time. Good luck

Pasadena, California
2 posts
8. Re: Train travel from Nga Trang to Hoi An

My advice is just take a pleane. Vietnam Air flies out of Cam Ranh airport about 15 miles from Nga Trang. It is faster, easier and considerably less stressful and flies out 4 times per week. I would also highly encourage you to do the same from HCMC at around $100 per person each way unless you really have a lot of patience for discomfort and questionable hygiene. good luck and tell me how it goes as we are in HCMC now.

On The Ground
Level Contributor
121 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: Train travel from Nga Trang to Hoi An

We finally took the train . it was in fact from Nha Trang to Danang and not direct to to Hoi An as I originally thought. Our hotel arranged a car pick up at Danang for around $12.00 which was fine as there were three of us to share.

We took the soft seat berth which was generally ok. The mattresses were grubby but as we took the early morning train we only sat on the lower beds and did not sleep on it.

We tried the rice porridge (10,000 D) served for breakfast. It was simple but tasty. The trip lasted for around four hours which was just right for us.

There was one stop where I went down to look at some fruits. I wanted to buy a pomelo and which was offered for 20,000 D. As I only paid 7,000 D for a fruit at Bui Vien Street in Saigon last year I offered to pay 10,000 D . The vendor refused to accept it and others nearby did not accept my offer as well. So I climbed back to the train at which point the original vendor ran after me and offered the fruit for 10,000 D. I took one and opened it on our berth. It was delicious. I went down to buy another and I was mobbed by other vendors. I bought another fruit from one of them. I knew that the price I paid was overpriced but it was less than 60 cents (US). It was very cheap. The locals were probably laughing at the foreigner that they outsmarted so we all ended up happy with the transaction.

Edited: 07 April 2010, 08:39
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
269 reviews
10. Re: Train travel from Nga Trang to Hoi An

I have enjoyed reading the posts about the train trip Nha Trang to Hoi An / Danang as we are planning to do the night train next week. We are traveling with a couple who have never tyraveled less than 4 star so we are hoping to show them another side to travelling.

Get answers to your questions about Nha Trang