We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report--Nha Trang

California
Level Contributor
710 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report--Nha Trang

I left Mui Ne on the back of a motor bike with a local driver and my backpack strapped to the front. Took about seven hours with stops for coffee, water, lunch, beer and photos It was very hot so a long shelve shirt and sunglasses are a must along with a helmet. I see many folks with face masks and I found the basic cowboy bandana works best as it gives good protection from the sun and wind. The total cost was about $55.00 US and this covered the driver, lunches, water/beer/coffee, gasoline, a bus ticket back to Nha Trang for the driver (he was going to put his motor on the roof of the bus) and a substantial tip. Good bargain, but a long ways in the heat and lots of rough road. My language skills are about 6th grade level, but I've never had any problems communicating. Certainly a lot more interesting than riding the bus or train and it gives you total control. Of course there are obvious drawbacks.

WEATHER--I was there in May 2008 and the weather was clear and hot, not nearly as bad as Saigon. One morning it rained and thundered for about ten minutes and then cleared up the rest of the time.

HOTELS--I stayed at the Green Hotel and found it quite nice. I took a deluxe room which is like a large suite with sofas and chairs. Didn't have to put my backpack on the bed all the time. The rooms run from $31.00 to $76.00 depending on the quality of the room you want. The hotel was very clean and quiet and the staff was very helpful and friendly. There was not odd smells as describe in other postings on TA about the hotel. I though the location was great, well withing walking distance of cafes and about one block from the beach.

DINING--Breakfast is included at the hotel. The breakfast is fairly large combination of Western and Asia and different fruits. Several mornings tour groups sort of took over the dining room around seven. So, I walked a block over to some of the outdoor vendors and had a bowl of pho, a bagette with fried egg, shreaded pork and chile sauce, and coffee for about $3.33 US. Very nice place to have breakfast and sit with the locals. I checked some of the places described in the Lonely Planet and on TA. The Lousiana Brewhouse seemed very nice, but it was entirely Westerners sitting, sunning, drinking, talking, eating, and swimming. I can see that in Southern California so I had one rather high priced beer and wandered off. I was not really impressed with Crazy Kim Bar. Too many ants on the tables and bar. The Rainbow Bar/Divers is quite nice and the pizza is supposed to be good. The Tiger Draft Beer is very cold and about $1.00 US. Just down the street is a very nice restaurant that has very good grilled seafood. I didn't write down the name, but it is on Hung Vuong Street and is the only place with a large grill in front. The grilled clams, Tiger prawns and fish are superb. Close by is the Cheers Cafe. The Sup Tom (Shrimp and crab soup) and springs rolls are exceptional. Also they have a foo-foo drink called a Nha Trang Lady (Vodka Lime/Orange Juice Grenadine) quite heavy on the vodka for $1.00 US. Nice way to finish up the evening. The prices are very low and the food is very good.

TOURING--I hooked up with an Easy Rider who I met two years ago and did the longer rides on the motor. (I have his new phone number if anyone is interested in an Easy Rider in Nha Trang. Very nice guy who knows his way around and can set up anything you might be interested in.) I also bicycled and walked (Nha Trang is very walkable). The Mud Baths are well worth visiting. Figure on half a day and be sure to bring flip-flops as the walkways and stairs are really slick. There are temples, pagodas and Cham towers along with fishing villages close by.

Overall, I found Nha Trang to be very pleasant. The traffic is not bad and everyone is very friendly. Lots of places to get laundry done for $1.00 a kilo. The exhange rate was posted at 15,700 in the hotel, but my Easy Rider driver took me to a money exchange where it was 16,600, much better deal. I left Nha Trang for Danang with a taxi from the hotel (actually turned out to be a hotel employee with a car) for $10.00 to the airport. Takes about 30 to 45 minutes to Cam Ranh. I flew out on Vietnam Airlines for $65.00. Their sechedule had changed so now the flight to Danang leaves at 0745 on an Airbus rather that the later flight on an ATR (The Airbus is a much better airplane). Hope this is helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Nha Trang
Nha Trang
Khanh Hoa Province, Vietnam
Asia
Asia
World
Draft Beer
Draft Beer
108 Reviews
Da Nang, Vietnam
Orange Hotel
Orange Hotel
751 Reviews
Da Nang, Vietnam
Cam Ranh
Cam Ranh
Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,379 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report--Nha Trang

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your report - how would you compare Mui Ne & Nha Trang, and what place did you like best?

For a relaxing time on a beach with some beachbars & restaurants which did you like best?

Cheers,

Sandy

Mentioned in this post
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Nha Trang
Nha Trang
nsw
Level Contributor
788 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report--Nha Trang

Hey Jason

What a nice report! There isnt a lot of great stuff written about Nha Trang but you seemed to enjoy it. We plan on spending 2 nites there so i'm glad to read good stuff about it.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Nha Trang
Nha Trang
vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,673 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report--Nha Trang

Hi Jason,

Great write up on Nha Trang.I've been here a while and that was a very accurate and well presented piece.Would love do do that myself but think Nha Trang rust has set in!One interesting point is that you can now get 18,000 vnd to the dollar and prices of beer,food and hotels have not gone up(as of yet)Making it an even cheaper holiday destination for those on budgets.

Mentioned in this post
Nha Trang
Nha Trang
natti223
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report--Nha Trang

i think the grilled restaurant u were talking about named Truc Linh (1,2,3) on Hung Vuong street and Biet Thu street. :)

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,673 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report--Nha Trang

Yes Natti made a good commet on restaurants.They also own hotel which is very popular with the locals.They have also opened a new restaurant near the port.Thats where the cable car and ferries go to vinapearl(5 star resort)Its also near the aquarium and institute of marine studies which for some reason very few tourists are taken to(maybe they do not do kick-backs)

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,711 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report--Nha Trang

Hi Jason

7 hours on a motorbike,must be very exciting experience???

Thank you for the detail report

singapore
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report--Nha Trang

hi, my friend n i will be going to Nha Trang as i wionder izzt like phuket, thanks....

Mentioned in this post
Nha Trang
Nha Trang
8. Re: Trip Report--Nha Trang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 20:49