We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stop over from HCM to Mekong Delta

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
253 posts
113 reviews
Where to stop over from HCM to Mekong Delta

Hi, Two of us will be in Vietnam in 3 weeks’ time. We have 5 full days in HCM before heading to East and North for 2 more weeks. While in HCM, we want to visit Mekong Delta to experience the river/canals and floating markets for 2 days 1 night.

In planning our Mekong Delta side trip, I came across cities My Tho, Ben Tre, Vinh Long and Can Tho and some island names. What are the “must” visit places and more importantly the passable tourist traps? Well, we are tourists and suppose to do what the tourists should do. But we don’t want to go to man-made spots that are meaningless.

We definitely want to see the authentic Mekong and the floating markets (hopefully we can do two markets: Cai Rang and one more)

I read both positive and negative reviews on Home Stay and I can't find reviews on them. Are there any Home Stay that offers room with ensuite bathroom? We are older adults and don’t want to go outside of the house or share bathroom with others.

Appreciate your thoughts and advice.

11 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
10,564 posts
1. Re: Where to stop over from HCM to Mekong Delta

Have a look at Green Village Homestay, as well as Nguyen Shack.

Scott

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
1 review
2. Re: Where to stop over from HCM to Mekong Delta

Green Village or Nguyen Shack homestay is a good choice as Scott said; Or ask a host of some homestay for a room with a restroom!

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: Where to stop over from HCM to Mekong Delta

If you decide to visit floating markets while in Can Tho, bear in mind that trips set off before dawn so you'd need to stay overnight.

Also, some trips only go as far as Cai Rang which is the large market. Longer trips also go much further to the smaller markets where you get right up close and are more 'intimate' and interesting.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
253 posts
113 reviews
4. Re: Where to stop over from HCM to Mekong Delta

Thanks for your replies. Yes, we are prepared to wake up and get ready at 4:30am to start the floating markets trip.

I am hoping to learn more if this is worth it to visit these cities: My Tho, Ben Tre, Vinh Long and some islands on our way from HCMC to Can Tho?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
9,004 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Where to stop over from HCM to Mekong Delta

ML, it is, but with just five days between Saigon and the Mekong, IMO, it may not serve you well.

Even if you dedicate 3 days for the Mekong, pretty much most things can be experienced out of a homestay in Can Tho.

For example, if you want to break up the 3-1/2 trip in Vinh Long, you would need a private car.

You could do a joint group tour that includes My Tho and/or Ben Tre, but it's touristy (though there's nothing wrong with it for a first timer.

Cheers,

John

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
9,004 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Where to stop over from HCM to Mekong Delta

For example, Mỹ Tho is most known for the Vĩnh Trang pagoda and the night market near the tourists wharf along the river, from which you can take a tour to the various islets (the four main ones being the Dragon, Unicorn, Turtoise, and Phoenix islets), but you can do that in Can Tho as well (except for the river crossing and going a bit toward the estuary, especially in the high water season, sometimes between Sept and Nov).

We were there last November, and it was quite a sight, just to be in the vastness of the river before it reaches the sea.

It's true that you will miss that experience, but this is low season anyhow. And you would need more time in the first place.

John

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
9,004 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Where to stop over from HCM to Mekong Delta

Ben Tre, which is coconut kingdom, requires its own time for one to explore it.

Two of the above mentioned islets actually belong to Ben Tre.

Then you need more time to get down to the coastal area and the birding site.

It's simply away from your destination, which are the floating market.

You won't have the coastal experience, but the birding, you can have it in Can Tho, if you have the time.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
9,004 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Where to stop over from HCM to Mekong Delta

Vinh Long has three sides, the mainland, the island (where the homestay concept takes root in the Mekong), and the side where one could arrive first, on the way down from Saigon.

That would be Cai Be, but the floating market there is dwinling by the day with the new bridge; the boat traffic has reduced little by little.

IMO, if one doesn't want to go as far as Can Tho, some sort of combination between My Tho/Ben Tre/ Vinh Long makes sense.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
253 posts
113 reviews
9. Re: Where to stop over from HCM to Mekong Delta

Thanks John for your detailed information. I now have some homework to do based on your replies. Thanks again.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
9,004 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Where to stop over from HCM to Mekong Delta

ML,

If you only intend to do a 2 day 1 night, I suggest that you consider the followings:

1. Go straight down to Can Tho and do a homestay. See if you can fly out from Can Tho (to Da Nang or Ha Noi).

2. Do a homestay Cai Be in Tien Giang province (most boat tours will take you across the river to the island side of Vinh Long). You will see pretty much all rural.

3. Do a homestay on the island part of Vinh Long (it's between Cai Be and the city/town of Vinh Long).

This is if you wish to experience both a small town atmosphere on the mainland and the rural area on the island.

My Tho and a Ben Tre don't have a floating market.

Cheers,

John

Reply to: Where to stop over from HCM to Mekong Delta
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted