We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning trip to Vietnam

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Planning trip to Vietnam

I am planning a trip to Vietnam for 19 days. I would like to try and organise it myself, does anyone have any advice? My partner and i have travelled overseas before and have always gone through travel agencies. I was hoping to do it alot cheaper than the quotes i have recieved. I have been looking at accomodation and online it seems much cheaper. I have also checked the internal flights, has anyone had any issues with booking directly with Vietnam Airlines? Any advice would be appreciated.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning trip to Vietnam

Begin by researching destinations according to your taste. Then decide how you want to travel between those: bus, train, motorbike passenger, plane.

Then book a hotel for the first night or two, the rest can be easily booked once you arrive and have thought about possibly reordering your itinerary which should be kept flexible due to weather conditions.

If you know beforehand that you are going to fly nationally, book the flights directly on VA's website:

vietnamairlines.com/wps/portal/en/site/home

Once you arrive at your various destinations you will have researched what to do and you may want to join a day tour, or possibly a multi-day tour in that region using your current hotel as a base point.

You do not want to employ a travel agency outside of Vietnam. And even in Vietnam you should be cautious. It is very easy to do it yourself in Vietnam.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
467 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning trip to Vietnam

Melissa.... you have made a start... Trip Advisor recommendations have helped us plan our last three trips!

All organised ourselves and honestly, no issue apart from maybe a wrong room type here and there... and heaps cheaper...

Read the forums, take notice of the regulars... check out the Things to see and Do in particular cities you plan to stay.

We book everything including Visas before we leave for: peace of mind, not disappointed if tours or classes are booked out, not wasting holiday time.

Vietnam Airlines are great, we have had to re-schedule a flight or two and contact our local Vietnam Airlines office via email and changes were made efficiently and promptly... do not hesitate to use them at all!

Our last trip we found Agoda Hotel prices best but would then check the hotel direct also... once booked we would follow up with a few emails confirming our booking first, then send another with Flight/Arrival details and then just before we depart another email confirmation... probably get tired of us! ;-)

My tips? Do a tour with Hanoi Kids in Hanoi, Red Bridge Cooking School in Hoi An and must do an XO Tour, the Foodie Tour was fantastic!

Happy to chat if you want to send a message....

cheers, baddles

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6,212 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning trip to Vietnam

The timing of your trip is a factor to consider as you browse through the forums.

Also, you can google for Viet Nam 14 day tour, 15, 16, 17, 18, and 19 day tour to see what are some of the common destinations.

If you decide to do something out of the box, just ask; some TA members will be able to help you on that as well.

Just take your time planning and have fun.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,547 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning trip to Vietnam

I recommend reading on the Travelfish.org site for both the Vietnam section as well as the forum and location blogs. Vietnam is easy as pie for DIY travel, but know the pros as well as the cons of travel there. My recommendation is to avoid as much road travel as possible - very dangerous drivers/very dangerous roads! I do use local travel agents when I need train tickets or a localized tour, and I use the VOA visa. 19 days is a good amount of time to see this country - not as small as it appears on those tiny maps!

5. Re: Planning trip to Vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 July 2013, 11:35
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning trip to Vietnam

Definitely book everything yourself, Vietnam is a very easy place to organize and it will be much cheaper. I would book open jaw flights, arriving in Hanoi and departing from HCMC check out flight price/schedules on the matrix website:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com

Moss Vale, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning trip to Vietnam

HI, I am also trying to plan a trip to Vietnam and have found Air Asia by far the cheapest airline. I am flying with them for the first time in September to Thailand so will hopefully have a successful trip and will then book for Vietnam next year. We are planning on going to Hoi An, Da Nang and Hue as we are foodies (chefs!) and this area is reputed to be the best for food, we are also very limited on when we can go (June) so weather plays a big part and the Central Coast area is the driest at that time. If you use Trip Advisor to determine the hotel you want to stay in and get a quote through them you get quotes from different sites, I find different sites are cheaper for different hotels. Good Luck and enjoy

8. Re: Planning trip to Vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 August 2013, 13:35
Tenterfield...
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning trip to Vietnam

Hi BaldricandBaddles,

After reading your encouragement to Melissa back in July 2013 in organizing everything yourself you mentioned that you organize your own visas. Being new to this "self organizing" i have just found that i need a visa for Vietnam (planning on going early next year 2015) didnt for other trips i have organized could you please tell me how i go about getting one. And do you follow a check list

your help would be much appreciated

Kind Regards

Kelly

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
293 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning trip to Vietnam

If you are Australian you can get a Visa on Arrival very easily - just google it or have a look at the great article on TA regarding this subject it is very helpful.

You can apply for a visa through the Vietnam Embassy but it is more expensive (about double) and involves sending in your passport. We have got our VOA twice through VietnamVisaCorp and had no problems at all (we landed in Hanoi - not sure about going into HCM with this).

Get answers to your questions about Hue