We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing Light

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Packing Light

Hello,

I am travelling to Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand in just over 3 weeks. I travel very light, only carry-on. I have read/heard that clothes and toiletries can be purchased inexpensively in HCM. I would prefer to purchase these items there so I have even less to bring with me.

Does any one have any tips and or advice in regards to making these purchases on arrival rather than packing from home?

I will be travelling for 35 days.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Kind regards,

9 replies to this topic
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,977 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Packing Light

Good way to travel. In any of those places you will be able to buy almost anything you may need from local markets, supermarkets or shops for much less than you would at home.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Packing Light

Thank you so much for your reply, it is most appreciated. Would you suggest a taxi over Grab or Uber to get from SGN to my hotel in HCMC - Blessings Central Thanh Ton, District 1?

What would be a reasonable rate?

Cheers,

Tina

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
10,533 posts
3. Re: Packing Light

Hi Tina,

"What would be a reasonable rate?"

Around 170 000 Dong, give or take.

Only use Vinasun or Mai Linh taxis, and do NOT go with anyone that approaches you.

Exit the terminal, and head left. You see some chrome balustrading bars attached to the ground, and around here you'll see the Vinasun and Mai Linh taxi marshalls. They'll organise a car for you.

Alternatively, you can jump on the yellow 109 bus, which you'll see just a little over to the right as you exit the terminal.

Can't remember the ticket price, but it was around 20 000 Dong. You'll then get off near Ben Thanh market.

Scott

Edited: 21 November 2018, 01:11
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
340 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Packing Light

Yep, definitely. We got only carry-one for 4 of us (parents and 2 kids) for 1.5 months south to north. You ll appreciate it when it comes to low fare flights.

NEWTOWNARDS, N...
Level Contributor
697 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Packing Light

I visited the same three countries earlier this year for five months and only had hand luggage - you will be able to purchase just about anything you need out there and as has been said you will be thankful for it when you are booking internal flights.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
9,004 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Packing Light

As long as you're a small size.

The average female is about 1.52m.

1.65m is maybe top ten in height.

1.7m is probably top 5.

Obesity is quite rare.

This is a size table:

https:/…

Chiều cao = height

Cân nặng = right

Ngực = bust

Eo = waist

Mông = hips

John

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,977 posts
35 reviews
7. Re: Packing Light

Grab should be less than a taxi. Even better is the grab motorbikes, half the price or less.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
443 posts
23 reviews
8. Re: Packing Light

I too have a small carry on for 4 months, after 9 seasons, I know what I need now. Anything can be purchased that you need very easily.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Packing Light

I truly appreciate all the replies, this information is so helpful.

Thank You!!!!

Reply to: Packing Light
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted