We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8D7N in Hanoi

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
8D7N in Hanoi

Hi guys! It'll be my second time in Vietnam, this time I'm keen on exploring the northern side of VN. I have a week to spend there.

Is my itinerary below ok? Do you have any suggestions? Thanks a lot! I'm so excited for this trip!

Days 1, 2 and 3 - Hanoi and Ha Long. I'll probably just do the day tour for Ha Long bay since I'm alone.

Day 4 and 5 - Ninh Binh

Day 6, 7 and 8 - Sa Pa

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,897 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8D7N in Hanoi

Blueschist, a day trip to Halong Bay takes about 8 hours for the journey there and back - hardly worth the effort for a few hours on the water. Far better to spend at least one night on a junk, where travelling on your own will not mean being in isolation because junk cruises are all about joining the other passengers in the included activities and meals.

As much as I love Ninh Binh and keep returning there, with just 7 nights to spare it might suit you best to restrict your itinerary to the usual triumvirate of Hanoi, Halong Bay and Sapa.

You can always return another time to explore the less touristy (and for me far more rewarding) parts of northern Vietnam, of which there are many.

Hanoi
Level Contributor
734 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8D7N in Hanoi

only thing I don't recommend for your itinerary is Ha long full day tour, it would be very tired if you just take a full day tour in HL, you can't explore full of its beauty.

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 8D7N in Hanoi

Agree with the others - Do not go on a day tour of Halong Bay. You are barely going to get any time at all to see the area before you find yourself back on the 4 hour journey to Hanoi. It'll be a waste of your time and money.

I recommend, as mentioned above, at least one night. It is always worth paying a little more to go on a junk operated by a reputable company - for your own peace of mind and safety. Search around the Halong Bay tours list and/or forum, and I'm sure you'll be able to come up with a few reputable operators.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8D7N in Hanoi

Would suggest doing the north-west loop - start in Mai Chau and head throught the mountains via Dien Bien Phu to Sapa. Stunning trip by all accounts.

5. Re: 8D7N in Hanoi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 August 2012, 14:05
6. Re: 8D7N in Hanoi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 14:46