We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visas for living in Hanoi!

Kent
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Visas for living in Hanoi!

Myself and my boyfriend have just moved to hanoi for my job! My job will take responsibility for extending and renewing my visa but we are on our own with my partners! Does anyone have any info on how to renew a visa and where, how many times you can renew, what happens when you have to get a new visa etc! We are staying for a minimum of two years so want to find out how to do this!!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
542 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: Visas for living in Hanoi!

Most travel agents can do that, since you are living in Hanoi, I would recommend you to use www.newhanoian.com to search for a good one.

Maximum you can get the visa on arrival for 3 month single entry (it has been tight on the multi entries), and another extension for 1 month. So be prepare to buy a lot of tickets in advance to go visa run every 4-5 months.

Kent
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Visas for living in Hanoi!

He has a three month multiple entry visa that was provided by my employer, can this then only be extended by a month! Could you please give me more info about the visa run please?

Thanks

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,981 posts
46 reviews
3. Re: Visas for living in Hanoi!

I would contact the immigration department direct. I'd have thought your employer would have got you a work permit though.

A 3 month visa can be extended for another month, once only....be aware the extension is single entry and as such is cancelled on departure. I managed to get a 12 month visa in Cambodia, when restrictions were in force, so that avenue might still be open.

This lot might also be able to help too. Have a read and, if necessary, email them ...... http://www.expat.vn/work-permit-in-vietnam

Kent
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Visas for living in Hanoi!

It's not me that has the problem my employer does mine its my boyfriends, could u give me more info about cambodia visa renewal thanks

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,981 posts
46 reviews
5. Re: Visas for living in Hanoi!

Ah I see. Yes, not being married can complicate things a bit.

Re: Cambodia, I went to the Vietnamese consulate in Sihanoukville, although I understand the embassy in Phnom Penh is equally obliging when it comes to longer term visas. As already mentioned they have recently clamped down on who can get 3 month multi entry visas - it's no longer an easy option via VOA. I'd suggest contacting Viet1 via PM as he seems to be well clued up on the current situation. Otherwise it's simply a case of getting to Cambodia, fill in the paperwork at the embassy/consulate, pay the money and get a visa. But it does take 4 pages of your passport each time you go through it. Two for the Cambodian visa and two for the Vietnam visa.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
542 posts
52 reviews
6. Re: Visas for living in Hanoi!

If you can tell me what is his visa type is (there is a line of visa type on the visa page - top right), nationality and where it was issued (Hanoi or Saigon). Then i can answer if that is possible to extend or not. Most of the cases it's possible for another 1 month single entry around 65-70$ depends on nationality.

For Hanoi Expats, the easiest option to do visa run is a ticket to Bangkok. and you will apply for another visa on arrival once you come back for another 3 month single entry. Or you can have the approval, then come to vietnam embassy in Bangkok for visa stamping, then you can get 3 month multi entry.

Or fly down to Saigon and travel to Phnom Penh on a 5 hour bus ride.

Kent
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Visas for living in Hanoi!

Could you tell me a bit more about what you mean by approval? We are planning on travelling so need a multiple entry visa renewal

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
29 reviews
8. Re: Visas for living in Hanoi!

It looks like your boyfriend posted on The New Hanoian on this topic. I think you'll get more helpful suggestions from there since its an expat site so there are lots of people in similar situations to yours.

Edited: 09 August 2012, 02:18
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,981 posts
46 reviews
9. Re: Visas for living in Hanoi!

If you want a 3 mth multiple entry visa you will almost certainly need to go to an embassy to see if you can get one. Such a visa via the Visa On Arrival agents is currently not an option. As far as I know you can get a 3mth SINGLE entry via the VOA agents but they can only process them one week in advance of when it is due to start.

When my 12 month visa expired I was granted, without leaving the country, a further 3 month extention. It was effectively a full blown visa, not an extention stamp. My Vn partner arranged this and I know that it involved some form filling that had to be given over to the Police before it was returned to immigration. This was dealt direct with the immigration people, not via an agent.

Just a final thought, if you know Vietnamese speaking people it might be worth getting them to explore what visa options are available with the immigration people in Hanoi - I found the ones in HCMC very helpful.

Kent
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Visas for living in Hanoi!

Thanks all, so are u saying to go to vietnamese embassy in hanoi? Did u have a work permit when u got a 3 month extension vua the embassy and do u kno how far in advance u can apply for an extension?