We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Went to dinner with local family

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Went to dinner with local family

I went to a dinner last Sunday 22nd

I was invited by a girl I happened to meet in a travel agent,s

I arranged to meet her outside my hostel the May De Ville backers

As I said in a previous post I did not know what to bring with me, so as advise I bought a bottle of local wine some cookie,s and sweet,s for the kid,s 2 pineapples and some bananas.

The motor bike journey was something in it,s self we went about 7km,s outside of the old quarter the traffic was frantic and the road very dusty.

When we arrived we were greeted by Ms Thuy,s mother and father

We changed from shoes to slipper,s and went immediately up to the second floor

Boiled chicken roast pork cooked bamboo spring roll,s noodles and a pot of rice were all spread on the floor mat, plus a vast supply of beer and a large plastic container containing vodka.

Every body piled into the food and drink as no one else except Ms Thuy spoke English communication was a bit difficult but enjoyable, the kid,s were very shy

Ms Thuy,s mother who I am informed is 80yr,looked as fit as a fiddle and was able to drink with anyone at the dinner

Her father was convinced that I could speak French (after a few vodka,s) I haven,t a word of French

After the main meal I was brought down stair,s to have some green tea and fruit with Ms Thuy and her mother and father

Then back to Hostel (the journey was scary)

I really enjoyed my night out my host,s were very happy with what I brought with me to there house

All and all a very good night

Newcastle
Level Contributor
263 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Went to dinner with local family

I'm so pleased you had a wonderful time. It is so nice to think you can enjoy the hospitality of a family on the other side of the world & have a wonderful experience to share with others. It would be very strange to accept an invitation or even be offered the opportunity to do this in most Western cultures....unfortunately!!! Good for you.

ColVal

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,691 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Went to dinner with local family

A wonderful experience for you, and so shaming that Thuy and her family would probably not encounter similar hospitality in the West.

By the way, the alcohol in the plastic container would have been distilled rice wine rather than vodka. It's exceedingly strong stuff and very popular in Vietnam.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,218 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Went to dinner with local family

Or maybe snake wine CB :-)

Yes, it is an experience and so different from what one encounters in the tourist areas. Glad you had an enjoyable time and certainly an experience hard to repeat in the west and hopefully one to remember for a long time.

Australia
Level Contributor
384 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Went to dinner with local family

I was hoping you would let us know how it went. Thanks Lauren. What a kind gesture, to be invited into a strangers home for a lovely meal. I'm sure it's an experience that both parties will treasure and talk about for years to come.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,117 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Went to dinner with local family

Awesome - you are a very lucky lady!

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,117 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Went to dinner with local family

For those of us travelers who might not be as lucky as Lauren, there is the Hanoi Home Visit service - I'm planning on investigating this myself:

http://hanoihomevisit.wordpress.com/

Edited: 25 April 2012, 00:32
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Went to dinner with local family

Good to hear that you had a nice time and that my fears were totally unfounded. As people have said, you'd be pushed to find that happening in the west.

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
131 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Went to dinner with local family

We're booked to do the Hanoi Home Visit on 3 May after finding the link on teh Hanoikids website- which we are also doing (and have before) and they have just emailed to say they want to film it and interview after for VCT10 TV. So that should be interesting :)

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Went to dinner with local family

I have to say I was a bit uneasy when I read your original post, with all the scams going on I was a bit wary about this offer from a girl you had only just met but glad it all worked out and I'm sure it's an experience you'll never forget.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Went to dinner with local family

Thank you all for your concern about my safety

very much appreciated , everything worked out fine

I am going to Hoa Lu Tam Coc tomorrow friday 27th on a day tour

Then saturday to Halong Bay and Cat Ba island for 3 day,s and 2 night,s