We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanoi taxis - overcharging

Berkshire, UK
Level Contributor
31 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Hanoi taxis - overcharging

Just returned from a trip to Vietnam and had a rather interesting time with taxis in Hanoi. Only use Hanoi or Hanoi Tourist taxis. We were massively overcharged when we took a cab from Ho Chi Minh's mausoleum to the Museum of Ethnology. I then kept on eye on the meter and noticed on one trip it was spinning forward way too quickly. We insisted the driver stop the car, refused to pay and got really quite cross. He said he was "mafia" and we had to pay - I was travelling with my husband and 4 yr old son, we were both extremely angry and walked away. We were not followed. Just be aware and keep an eye out for this.

Hanoi Street Food Tour
Food Tours, Motorcycle Tours, Cooking Classes, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
HanoiKids Tour
Food Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
Classy Travel - Day Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Incredible Asia Journeys
Historical & Heritage Tours, Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
London, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Hanoi taxis - overcharging

Mai Linh taxis dont seem to overcharge if can ask your hotel to phone a taxi for you or walk into any tourist office and ask them to phone a taxi for you most will do this for no charge and will tell the driver where you need to go to and roughly what you should pay

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hanoi taxis - overcharging

@ poster number 10, I appreciate what you say regarding the Police, but the average Tourist doesn't have time when on holiday - we just suck up the experience and get on with the holiday. Therefore there is just bad feeling. The authorities (Government and Police) have to get off their fat lazy as@#s and fix the problem before they lose too many Tourists.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hanoi taxis - overcharging

Yeah, you can trust Mai Linh Taxi. And we know that our police don't work so well but there's one thing you need to know is that if you wanna travel by yourself in Hanoi, you need to know Vietnamese and make people think that you have a lot of experience, so that they can't cheat you.

Though I'm a citizen here, I have to admit this

14. Re: Hanoi taxis - overcharging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 August 2012, 16:05
Tipperary, Ireland
Level Contributor
131 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hanoi taxis - overcharging

We only used Mai Linh or Hanoi Taxi group in Hanoi and we were never overcharged, these companys are both very reliable.....we took a morning tour with Hanoi kids and she pointed both out to us as being safe and she was right !!!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Hanoi taxis - overcharging

I think the point with scams and the reason they work, is that you don't know you have been scammed until after the event, therefore by the time you realise the scam (i realised when I was back in my room) its too late to do anything about it.

Hanoi is a great place and this should not deter people, just things to watch out for. Slecting specific Taxi's is not always easy - if you get one through your hotel then great, however if you walk out of a bar, or tourist attraction and need a cab, its hard to be selective.

I think you just need to know the scams so you can be aware.

17. Re: Hanoi taxis - overcharging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 02:46