We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halong Bay - Phoenix or Oriental Cruise?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,987 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Halong Bay - Phoenix or Oriental Cruise?

Hi,

We are a family of four going to Hanoi mid year. We have sorted out our accommodation and I'm now trying to decide on a two day one night Halong Bay Cruise.

I know this question gets asked all the time - I have scanned the forums - but bare with me.

We have narrowed it down to Pheonix Cruses or Oriental Cruises. Both are around $105 - $110US per person. This is the most we can pay with having to pay four full fares (our children are above child age).

Both cruises look similar but the Phoenix seems to provide lunch at the end.

If anyone has any insight on either cruise that would help us decide that would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Caroline.

Budapest, Hungary
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Halong Bay - Phoenix or Oriental Cruise?

Last week we used Golden Lotus Cruise and spent 1 night on boat. This was really good boat with nice cabin and lovely staff. Food was excellent with seafood. For nicer views you should book the Ocean Views cabin on 2nd floor.

Contact: www.thaisonhotelgroup.com for discount and better cabin.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Halong Bay - Phoenix or Oriental Cruise?

Oop..I think it is expensive price for 2 days cruise. I returned from our trip in Vietnam and did Ha Long cruise with Huong Hai junk.

Enjoy your Vietnam tour!

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Halong Bay - Phoenix or Oriental Cruise?

Hi Caroline.

Out of those two cruises you have mentioned Oriental Sails is definitely the better option. That company actually has another Junk called Calypso Cruise which is 4 star, and a boat less that a year old. I have dealt with the company and both cruises are very good. Oriental Sails has lunch at the end of the cruise on the last day also. I think you'll find that almost all of the cruises do this.

Have fun, and welcome to Vietnam!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,987 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Halong Bay - Phoenix or Oriental Cruise?

Thanks - appreciate that advice. I'll look more into Oriental and check the price on the Calypso boat....

The Oriental Sails schedule says that you disembark at 11am and had no mention of lunch - while the Phoenix specifically mentioned a 12noon disembark and lunch from 11am.

Caroline.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
668 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halong Bay - Phoenix or Oriental Cruise?

Hi Caroline,

The boats include 01 breakfast, 01 dinner and 02 lunches. Thus, it should have lunch on the second day for sure.

Cheers.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halong Bay - Phoenix or Oriental Cruise?

Lunch 2nd day is included. I went on my birthday trip in Dec on Oriental Sails. We have a private boat for ourselves and the food was amazing!

Calypso is better than Phoenix , but you pay higher price for it for sure.,

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Halong Bay - Phoenix or Oriental Cruise?

Hi Caroline,

I agree with others about Oriental, Calypso boat is better then Phoenix. Choosing a good junk is important as you do spend lot of time in the Junk. Also check the itineraries of each junk if they are suitable for you.

I opted for mid range deluxe cruise with Haung hai junk as I had to pay single supplement and I was happy with everything on their cruise. We had lunch the next morning at 11 am.

I hope you have fantastic time in Vietnam.

cheers

Diva

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,987 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Halong Bay - Phoenix or Oriental Cruise?

Thanks again all.

The Calypso (oriental sails) seems to be $155US pp which effectively takes us up to paying over $600US for one night. That just seems too much for me.

I really wanted to try to come in around $400US for the night for the four of us - so will try to get the best I can for that amount....

I hope it's worth it.

Caroline.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Halong Bay - Phoenix or Oriental Cruise?

Hi,

Good luck and let us know what you decided. I paid $99 for Houng hai deluxe junk plus single supplement of $39 total cost $ 138 which I thought was good as I had my own cabin.

Here is link to my blogs/ pictures. See the entry "Just Amazing" for pictures of junk.

travelpod.com/travel-blog/smittee/1/tpod.html

Cheers

Diva

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Halong Bay - Phoenix or Oriental Cruise?

P.S the price included the transfers from hotel to Junk and back.

2 lunches, 1 dinner, 1 breakfast. Kayaking was extra but I did not go for it.

Whichever Junk you will choose, you will love Ha Long bay.