We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halong Bay cruise - (too?) good price offered

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
808 posts
134 reviews
Halong Bay cruise - (too?) good price offered

I've been offered a good price through a Hanoi tour agency for a Halong Bay 2 night tour.

$200 each for a 5 star boat - LaPinta.

Price for same boat elsewhere is over 50% more. The agency gets good reviews on here and elsewhere - but I am usually of the belief that if it's too good to be true, it usually is.

Do certain companies have access to super-duper rates? Or shall I leave well alone!?

5 replies to this topic
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Halong Bay cruise - (too?) good price offered

Be aware that online bookings through agents are more expensive than those booked locally when you arrive.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
808 posts
134 reviews
2. Re: Halong Bay cruise - (too?) good price offered

Thank you - if we leave it till we arrive in Hanoi in December to book, is there likely to only be the old party boats left? Prefer not to pay stupid money if I can help it, but equally I'm wanting a certain quality!

Singapore
Level Contributor
438 posts
211 reviews
3. Re: Halong Bay cruise - (too?) good price offered

Booking Halong Bay cruises is a bit tricky. The usual adage that it is cheaper to book direct with the tour provider may not be true in this case. Some hotels and agencies do have tie-ups with specific cruise or tour operators to provide tours /cruises at prices which are lower than what you can book directly with the operator themselves. Apart from checking the reviews of the hotels/agencies which are selling the package/tours, also confirm what is included or not in the prices such as kayaking on the cruise, the return shuttle from Hanoi-Halong pier etc as they can add up to quite a bit. We booked our cruise through our hotel and the rates were almost 40% lower than from the cruise operator's own website.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Halong Bay cruise - (too?) good price offered

I went on a 2D1N cruise. i went to Bhaya Cruises. my uncle and aunt went the year before and we went in November 2017. It was a great experience. my personal view is it can be costly but best to pay for quality. I am aware that you get budget type cruises and so on. Bhaya Cruises have good reviews and my wife and I had a great time.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
7,501 posts
447 reviews
5. Re: Halong Bay cruise - (too?) good price offered

Make sure what is included before you purchase the tour, such as entrance fees, transport to H Bay, meals etc

Reply to: Halong Bay cruise - (too?) good price offered
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted