We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Female Solo Traveller - Is North better or South for a 8 day

7 posts
Female Solo Traveller - Is North better or South for a 8 day

I am traveling solo to Vietnam in OCT. Can't decide if North will be better or South for a day trip.

Need some suggestions, please.

17 replies to this topic
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: Female Solo Traveller - Is North better or South for a 8 day

Firstly, go to Travelfish.org to refine your research.

At the moment, your post is too vague for TA members to help.

What's 'better' is down to your personal interests and preferences. We all have our own, so such an open question as yours is likely to lead to confusion rather than help.

2. Re: Female Solo Traveller - Is North better or South for a 8 day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2018, 19:53

3. Re: Female Solo Traveller - Is North better or South for a 8 day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2018, 19:53

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
2,595 posts
1 review
4. Re: Female Solo Traveller - Is North better or South for a 8 day

IMO, just focus on North at that time!

Hanoi
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
81 reviews
5. Re: Female Solo Traveller - Is North better or South for a 8 day

The North is by farthe most stunning region. In 8 days : 2 days Hanoi ; 2 days/1nt on board Halong Bay ; 1 day (departure 7h30) express bus DIRECT Hanoi-Sapa + the 1st day, visit without guide city and Cat Cat Waterfalls + 2 days trekking with one night homestay ; return by express bus Day 3 (departure around 15h30) ; Hanoi and return flight

1 post
6. Re: Female Solo Traveller - Is North better or South for a 8 day

Hi, thank yo so much for your input.

My plan is - Hanoi - 1night 2 days Halong bay, 1 day trip to Ninh Binh and then 2 days in Hoi An and 2 in Da Nang. Please let me know if this is fine for first trip.

Hanoi
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
81 reviews
7. Re: Female Solo Traveller - Is North better or South for a 8 day

2 days in Danang for what ? The surroundings are beautiful, but large city with not much to see. MUCH better two days in, very beautiful Tam Coc and then night train NINH BINH-Danang + taxi DNG-Hoi An and 3 days in very charming HA. HOWEVER, you miss the best, the stunning mountains of the North with its markets and minorities in tribal costumes

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
50 reviews
8. Re: Female Solo Traveller - Is North better or South for a 8 day

I travelled solo for 4 weeks last October - starting in HCMC and finishing in Hanoi (i got the train and stopped off along the way). The further north I got the more I enjoyed it. From Da Nang up. I would definitely recommend the north over the South but as others have said it depends on what you want to do, it's all personal preference. Can you advise what sort of things you want to do? And with only 8 days I probably wouldn't try to fit that many places in, cut it down and actually enjoy the places rather than just saying you've been there (cos you won't get to experience them fully with a fly through trip)

Edited: 05 August 2018, 19:38
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
42 reviews
9. Re: Female Solo Traveller - Is North better or South for a 8 day

I spent a whole month in the north last year. Was never stuck for things to do.

I travel for a month every year. This year's visit will be my 4th to Vietnam. It's a fabulous country with beautiful people. Don't try to cram in as much as possible in a single visit as so many first-timers try to do.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
9,004 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Female Solo Traveller - Is North better or South for a 8 day

This is the map of Da Nang.

https://goo.gl/maps/5HSZc5AchMS2

I have no idea why Iarsay think there's not much to see and do there.

I can spend a month easily on just the east side of the Asian Highway AH1.

The "problem" is the limited amount of time that you have.

Unless you're young and super active, I think it's best to stay in the north.

October is early fall up there; you won't have the risk of a typhoon (or just heavy rain or prolonged rain that may cause flooding in the central.)

Cheers,

John

Reply to: Female Solo Traveller - Is North better or South for a 8 day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted