We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours or independent trips

10 posts
Tours or independent trips

Hi I will be in Vietnam in November this year. My itinerary right now looks something like Hanoi (3N) - Halong Bay Cruise (1N) - Sapa (2N) - Ninh Binh (3N) - Ha Giang (3N) - Ho Chi Minh City (3N). I am confused between opting for multi-day tours to Sapa/Ninh Binh etc. and travelling there independently and then taking day trips from there. I am a person who likes to explore on his own. However, I want to know which option is better in terms of the trade-off between cost and convenience.

8 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Tours or independent trips

I'm a big fan of just doing it yourself...

Downside is that it generally takes a little longer.

Upside is that you go where you want to go an at the pace you want to go at.

You know that November isn't the best time to go to Sapa/Ha Giang? At least if you're expecting green/golden rice terraces. Take a fleecy.

2. Re: Tours or independent trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2018, 19:53

Level Contributor
247 posts
330 reviews
3. Re: Tours or independent trips

DIY, if you like to explore on your own.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,380 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: Tours or independent trips

Forget 'nights' and instead think about the number of full days you'd like to spend in each place, sightseeing, exploring and activities.

2 nights = only 1 full day. 1 night = 2 consecutive travel days. A waste of time.

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
1 review
5. Re: Tours or independent trips

It is very easy to do it yourself in Vietnam!

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
56 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Tours or independent trips

You will have a lot of enjoyable and convenient time for yourself if you travel alone. What I recommend to you is reading a lot of articles and tips to schedule a detailed and meticulous trip for yourself. Ask more here or other travel forums to get the best advice to travel along Vietnam with wonderful memories and local life.

As I always say, living in a local homestay will give you so many experiences than only stuck in 4-wall hotel, but it is not convenient as hotel, so do research and consider for yourself. Or living in hostel will save you a decent amount of money, will offer you more budget to enjoy other interesting things.

Have fun,

Duc

7. Re: Tours or independent trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2018, 19:16

Level Contributor
637 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: Tours or independent trips

I always prefer DIY. Just needs a little research and planning. I will be heading Sapa in morning with bus/limo from Noi Bai airport on the first week of November. Never knows, we might bump each other in Sapa:)

Reply to: Tours or independent trips
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted