We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laos kip to Viet dong

Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Laos kip to Viet dong

Hi, does anyone know if the major airports in Vietnam/ Hanoi will exchange kip?

I have a lot but no bank in Vientiane will buy it.

Is there anyone traveling to Laos from Hanoi who would like to buy it?

Thank you

10 replies to this topic
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laos kip to Viet dong

You can sell Kip at some Jewelry shops around Hanoi old quarter, check some to get best price. Ha Trung street is famous to sell and buy foreign currency

Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laos kip to Viet dong

Do you know if the airports will accept it? I haven't left Vientiane yet. Still searching here but not having any luck.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Laos kip to Viet dong

So the banks won't exchange it back to USD, or won't exchange it for VND?

If you haven't tried then try and change it back to USD and then take it over to VN to change for VND. You'd lose a bit on x-rate but better than nothing.

Otherwise try posting on Vientiane's TA forum and see if somebody is willing to take it off your hands?

Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Laos kip to Viet dong

No one will give out US. It is so frustrating, they refuse to buy their own currency

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Laos kip to Viet dong

There is a currency exchange at the airport in Vientiane, easiest to simply exchange it there before your flight.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Laos kip to Viet dong

Last year we could not change Kip to USD at Luang Prabang airport so we changed at some shops in Hanoi old quarter

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,088 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Laos kip to Viet dong

Both currencies are not convertible. I've had no trouble converting Kip to USD at Luang Prabang Airport. In Hanoi you'd have to use gold shops or black market ladies (just south of VNPT/main post office).

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Laos kip to Viet dong

Interesting JD - a friend had no problem exchanging Kip to USD at the airport in Vientiane when we were leaving.

Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Laos kip to Viet dong

Thank you . I'd hoped this be the case but was scared of them not taking the kip as they have done in town.

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
532 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Laos kip to Viet dong

Airport exchange may be your best bet. Kip is hard to exchange in Vietnam, hard to exchange anywhere.

Reply to: Laos kip to Viet dong
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted