We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

early return to Hanoi after Halong Bay day trip

Lipa City...
Level Contributor
2 posts
early return to Hanoi after Halong Bay day trip

Hi. I have an 8:50 pm flight to catch from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh after the Halong Bay day trip. Is this possible?

8 replies to this topic
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: early return to Hanoi after Halong Bay day trip

It's a gamble. If possible, arrange your trip to Ha Long another day.

leicester
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
217 reviews
2. Re: early return to Hanoi after Halong Bay day trip

Unlikely after a day trip. They usually end about 3 to 4pm, then a four hour back to Hanoi in peak traffic plus check in time. I wouldn’t take the chance, delays are the norm on the roads.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: early return to Hanoi after Halong Bay day trip

If you are doing a day trip it is very unlikely you will get back in time. As suggested in reply #1, go another day or do an overnight trip (which generally get back to Hanoi around 4 or 5pm)

Edited: 03 August 2018, 16:58
Lipa City...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4. Re: early return to Hanoi after Halong Bay day trip

Thanks for the advice.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,374 posts
74 reviews
5. Re: early return to Hanoi after Halong Bay day trip

You could also consider an overnight thru Lan Ha Bay which has a shorter transfer time of 2-2.5 hours. We have a 6pm flight after our cruise. We chose to get a private car from the port to the airport to also save even more time.

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
1 review
6. Re: early return to Hanoi after Halong Bay day trip

Arrange your time to do a 2D1N Halong Bay tour or Skip. If not, it is a gamble as the post #1 said above.

Hanoi
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
81 reviews
7. Re: early return to Hanoi after Halong Bay day trip

Cruises end up normally around 13:00 and you are back in Hnaoi around 18:00, you have to be at the airport 2 hours before (but 1 hour is OK), which is minimum 7:00 for you, and, with the new bridge and superhighway, it takes about 40 mn for Hanoi Center-Airport, so, I do not see why it is 'unlikely". Check out with your cruise operator what time you are back at your hotel.

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
549 reviews
8. Re: early return to Hanoi after Halong Bay day trip

I would say that you are out of luck if taking a day trip. I would not want to be in your shoes

Reply to: early return to Hanoi after Halong Bay day trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted