We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thankyou everyone

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
Thankyou everyone

3 more sleeps and we off for 19 nights in Vietnam.

We arrive in Hanoi, then travel to Halong Bay, Hue, Hoi An, Da Nang, Nha Trang and finish in HCMC.

Thanks to all those people who have donated their time to the forum, and for answering all my questions.

This is an extremely friendly forum and I have enjoyed being involved in it.

Cheers. Danuta.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thankyou everyone

Are there many places to go to if you want drawings done from photos?

I was hoping that maybe at some markets in the above places, there might be artists who do this type of drawings.

Cheers. Danuta.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thankyou everyone

Danuta

I'm leaving in a few hours. I am going to try to get the photo painted in Hoi An. Over the Japanese bridge and keep walking there are usually artists working in the little galleries.

Have a great trip, DG

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
5,791 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thankyou everyone

Am sure you are going to have a great time and the weather is good up and down the country.

You can get paintings done here in Nha Trang. Just walk around the tourist area and you will find many galleries.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thankyou everyone

Hi Danuta,

Have a really good trip!! Oh I envy you! we just got back from North Vietnam and loved it so much so we are planning central and south vietnam next. Let us know your adventures! Keep an eye on the belongings at the Hanoi night market (Fri, Sat, Sun too??) and have fun!.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thankyou everyone

I will not be carrying a bag around at all. Hubby can hold onto money in his little front pocket of his shorts. Wont take much out with us.

They can try and polish our thongs if they want. Lol

Taxis are the bit that worry me the most. Read to use Mai linh or Vinasun, but apparently there are fake ones of them also.

We always make the best of our holidays. Have had a few bad times, but we write that off to experience. Live, learn and enjoy is our motto.

Danuta.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,706 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thankyou everyone

Danuta, Vinasun do not operate in Hanoi. There you should use Mai Linh (mostly green and white, some of them green only) and Hanoi Taxi Group (white with a red chevronned stripe on the side). There are no fakes of either group.

Whatever you do, don't use any of the cabs that park outside or next to tourist attractions as they're the ones with whizzing meters and a propensity for taking the longest route from A to B.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thankyou everyone

We did read on TA about fake Mai Linh too so we stayed clear of taxis. The 4 days in Hanoi, we eat, walk, sit in cafes, eat, walk, do a bit of spot shopping here and there all day lol. As much as we love Hanoii we sort of got bored on the 3rd day and not wanting to take a taxi to take us around outside of old quarter, we got our hotel to organise a private driver (no tour guide just driver) to take us around the sights and western Lake for AUD45 for half a day.

Oh, the old quarter although quite large can easily be covered on foot if one is reasonably fit.

Edited: 01 May 2012, 12:42
Australia
Level Contributor
384 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thankyou everyone

Danuta & DG, have a wonderful time in VN and please feed our addiction by posting all about it, lol. Look forward to hearing all about it.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thankyou everyone

Will do chevhill. Daughter just got my notebook, all set up for me to use, so if I can get wifi, I will keep in touch.

I took a laptop last time and it drove me nuts. Too much trouble carting it with luggage etc. Only thing it was good for was to stuff a couple of kilos in the bag on the return trip to Perth.

2 more sleeps. Really 1 1/2 more nights, as we have to get up 2am to get to the airport for our outward flight.

Cheers. Danuta.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
565 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thankyou everyone

last may when we were in Hanoi we stay in Hanoi Elegance Diamond Hotel, there was a laptop in every room, it was god send.

wish all hotels have this facilities.

Edited: 01 May 2012, 17:40