We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Intrepid vs Gap adventures

swindon
2 posts
Save Topic
Intrepid vs Gap adventures

Hi I'm hoping to spend a couple of weeks this summer travelling to vietnam and cambodia. I'm a single traveller age 27 so want to do something in a tour group, for safety and to meet people of a similar age. Has anyone had experience of either of these tour companies, or could anyone recommend one you have recently used?

Any help at all would be gratefully received

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,115 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Intrepid vs Gap adventures

Have not been on there tours but know a lot of there guides.Both companies do more or less the same thing.Think intrepid is the oldest.

If I was you I would do it by yourselve.Vietnam is a safe country to travel in and the people are friendly.There will be loads of people like yourselve traveling up and down.It's easy to join them on there travels for a day or two.You have the added advantage of going and staying where you want to for as long as you like and for half the price you would pay these companies.

West Yorks
Level Contributor
940 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Intrepid vs Gap adventures

I also would/am doing it solo. It is very easy to do and you will save yourself bucket loads of money and have the flexibility to go where you want to go. Plus I'm sure you will meet lots more people your own age this way rather than on a organised tour which youngsters tend to avoid.

I have visited Vietnam before and never had any safety issues. (I am female).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Intrepid vs Gap adventures

Many people on this site are very anti organised tours. I, like you prefer them as it takes the worry factor out. Many will also say that tours are more costly, which maybe the case, but when you add up the cost of single accommodation unless you do backpackers it probably is not more expensive. The other bonuses are that you don't get lost. The anti side is that you may get stuck sharing a room with someone that you just don't dig. .

I have two tours starting in two weeks time this will make my total with them 5. I choose Intrepid over GAP as from what I have researched they seem to have the nudge on GAP and they are Aussie, as I am. The fellow travellers come from all different countries and the age varies from early twenties to 60ish. In my experience the average age being late 20's. Your travel companions are a mixture of couples and singles, probably more couples than singles. I hope that this helps.

I have travelled to Thailand, Vietnam, Laos & Cambodia and India the itineraries have been great.

Edited: 04 April 2010, 04:26
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Intrepid vs Gap adventures

Daughter just returned from Gap Indochina and found it good. Downside was many long travel days so that`s something to look at.

As a single traveller she found the company of fellow tourists suited her.Somone to eat and chat with makes travelling more pleasant, and the sole travellers swapped from time to time so there was variety in room mates.

The guide was an Aussie who was very experienced.

Having been to Vietnam I know you can get it much cheaper and probably see more but being part of a group can add to the experience.

UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Intrepid vs Gap adventures

Whilst I would agree that travelling around most of the world is probably as 'safe' as you are (and yes we all make mistakes!), you will definitely benefit by travelling as part of a group at times. Apart from that it is good to have like minded people to share the adventure with. I travelled alone to India, Nepal etc. but opted for GAP on two occasions and was not disappointed. Firstly to Peru - organising my own flights, hotel and time alone in Peru, but organised with GAP to do Colca Canyon and Inca Trail. Three years later I took my son to Istanbul and western Turkey, again booking flights, hotels and our own free time in Istanbul before joining the organised trip to Galipollo, Troy, etc. etc. primarily as I didn't fancy the long drives. I also have a friend who went solo through Thailand, Cambodia, Laos - he had to admit that he didn't enjoy it as much as he thought he would - I suspect because of the lack of companionship. So go ahead and book - have a great trip!

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,056 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Intrepid vs Gap adventures

Let me say that I am quite a shy person, but find that solo travel is very character building. We all have to grow as individuals, and I know nothing better than independent travel to accomplish this, and Vietnam is certainly one of the most pleasant and easy places to experience this. It's sort of like driving a car, in that when one is a passenger, they never really experience the locale the same way the driver does. To me, this is all important, but you might be less interested (we're all different, just enjoy the trip).

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
418 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Intrepid vs Gap adventures

I can't tell you anything about Gap as for all of the tours I have done in Asia I have chosen to go with Intrepid. I have done 6 tours with them and about half of those were when I was single, the other 3 with my boyfriend/hubby.

As said above you get a great range of ages and nationalities and I found that all of the experiences were fun even when things went wrong (or a little off plan).

With the exception of one of my trips I have found the guides to be excellent for knowledge, advice and fun to travel with. On the one trip where I had a brand new guide, she didn't know the places we travelled to that well yet and in one town she actually told us there was nothing to do so she would see us in the morning. But it was probably one of the best things for us as travellers - we banded together, used our guide books and talked to the hotel staff and had the best night ever - the next morning she was asking us all for advice for her next trip.

Whitby
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Intrepid vs Gap adventures

Contiki Holidays also has two trips to choose from to Vietnam. A 10 Day Vietnam Highligths and a 12 day Vietnam Experience.

Contiki is exclusive to 18-35 year old travellers so you so know you will be travelling with people your own age and doing stuff that is gear towards what young people ( no 45 year olds on this trip!)

They also provide a Contiki Tour manager -fully english speaking plus a local guide that know all the "insider spots" to take the group to and there to help your translate for you in the outdoor & water markets etc.

The Contiki Asia program is also small groups of 25 or less, plus you stay at nice 3start Hotels and private guest houses, so you can be sure your accomidations will be nice and not a "surprise". Contiki has their own private coach transportion so there is no waiting or buses or trying to find space on a crowded hot buses etc.

You have tons of free time to go explore and check out all the local culutre, famous sites, taste the local food ( try a cooking class), ride in a dragon boat, or bamboo boat and other authentic experiences. LOVED the outdoor market, the hand woven crafts and "knock-Offs" were soooo cheap!

I did the Contiki Asia Adventure to Thailand, Cambodia and Loas during Christmas Break last year and LOVED every minute of it. Many people on my tour just did the Vietnam Experience and said they had a great time and have a very good experience.

The group seemed to be a bit older ( 26+) and more experienced travellers vs. first time travellers. There was many single travellers and we all got along great!

I am excited to go back to South East Asia, the scenery, food and people were all amazing and so different than anywhere else I have travelled to!

PLUS the shopping is so cheap-- don't pack a lot as there will be tons of stuff that you will want to buy there!!

Enjoy your trip!

Lisa

9. Re: Intrepid vs Gap adventures

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2010, 09:48