We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Floating market : Cai Be ok? (versus Cai Rang)

Grimbergen, Belgium
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Floating market : Cai Be ok? (versus Cai Rang)

I'm planning our 4 weeks trip to Vietnam (July 2019). The last week we will be visiting Mekong Delta (2 nights), HCMC (3 nights) and relax Mui Ne (4/5 nights).

We will fly from Danang to Can Tho and plan to stay 2 nights in the An Bin area to absorb the life in the Mekong delta. We will probably be staying at Mekong Lodge or Mekong Riverside Boutique Resort in Cai Be.

I have read that the floating marketing of Cai Rang is the biggest but this would mean backtracking to Can Tho and afterwards a longer journey to HCMC.

Question is if the Cai Be market is interesting enough to visit. We don't need to see the biggest, but we would be disappointed if there are only a few vendors ;-)

Any tips more than welcome both on the floating market, things to do in the area as well as the lodging.

PS if any one is interested in the 4 weeks itinerary (Hanoi, Ha Long Bay, Sapa, Hue, Hoi An, Cai Be, HCMC and Mui Ne) please send me a PM.

Thanks,

Gunther

11 replies to this topic
Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: Floating market : Cai Be ok? (versus Cai Rang)

I would skip Cai Be floating market, Cai Rang is the much better one to visit. There are many nice places to stay in Can Tho. You can spend a night or 2 in Can Tho then continue to An Binh afterwards.

Cheers

Nhung from Mango Cruises

Canberra
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
1 review
2. Re: Floating market : Cai Be ok? (versus Cai Rang)

My Sinh Tourist day tour included the Can Be floating market.

I found this floating market to be underwhelming. The Thai floating markets are much better.

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
1 review
3. Re: Floating market : Cai Be ok? (versus Cai Rang)

Do Phong Dien and Cai Rang floating markets in Can Tho. Cai Be is not advised.

Hanoi
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
82 reviews
4. Re: Floating market : Cai Be ok? (versus Cai Rang)

You can do Dang-Can Tho, one night in Can Tho, then morning Cai Rang Market, then ferrybus CT-VINH LONG and ferry VL-An Binh VIllage, with stay in the excellent Ngoc Phuong Homestay; then ferry An Binh-Be, where the Mekong Lodge is better than the big impersonal Riverside boutique. In Cai Be, visiting the ancient houses of the Dong Hoa Hiep District is a must (with superb lunch in the most beautiful, Mrs. Kiet's

Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Floating market : Cai Be ok? (versus Cai Rang)

Hello Jacques,

you mention a lot of connections by ferry. I tried some of the well known internet sites to find these connections without success. It seems they only know bigger routes like transfer to Phu Quoc. Can you provide a hint how to find these local connections.

I do not like to change my accomodation daily, I prefer to stay at one place for a couple of days. My initial idea was to stay for 3 days in Cai Be (coming von Phnom Penh via Chau Doc, Can Tho) and then go to the Island Nam Du via Rach Gia. The problem seems to be that a ferry to Nam Du is only early in the morning, so I must stay one night in Rach Gia. But my main problem for me to get information about the connection Cai Be <-> Can Tho.

Regards, Rainer

London
Destination Expert
for Salta
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
308 reviews
6. Re: Floating market : Cai Be ok? (versus Cai Rang)

I haven’t been to Cai Be but have been to Cai Rang a couple of times. it is a very atmospheric place at dawn. Can Tho has nice food night market and hotpot alley, but apart from that not a lot.

Some details of our time there on our blog @ https:/…

Rainer R - I am not sure there are ferry connections between all of those places. we have travelled in the opposite direction from Saigon - Ben Tre-Vinh Long- Chau Doc-Phnom Penh. we did all of that by boat except Saigon-Ben Tre and Can Tho - Chau Doc which had to be by bus. it is a great trip but I certainly would not rush through Chau Doc as there is so much to see. there are several posts re our travels in these locations in the delta on the Vietnam section of our blog https:/…

Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Floating market : Cai Be ok? (versus Cai Rang)

Hello Crellston,

I'll think about your proposal and maybe follow your suggestion and stay one day in Chau Doc. The boats you are talking about, are this regular public lines or did you rent somebody with a boat for your private trip. Ferry sounds public :-). If public what is the frequency I can expect and do you know any public published schedules? I do not want to go to Saigon, I do not like cities, I prefer beaches, islands and the hills. I want to go to Nam Du, move to Phu Quoc, fly to Hanoi to visit Cat Ba, Tam Coc and Sa Pa before returning to Bangkok.

Regards, Rainer

Hanoi
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
82 reviews
8. Re: Floating market : Cai Be ok? (versus Cai Rang)

The Cai Be-An Binh Island ferry is on the dirt road which starts on the right (when you look at the river) of the River Square. The An Binh-Vinh Long ferry is in the middle of An Binh Village. Then, you take a bus AB-Can Tho;

Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Floating market : Cai Be ok? (versus Cai Rang)

Hello Jaques, sounds a bit complicated and time consuming for a stay of only two nights. I think I will look for an accomodation in Can Tho and explore the environment from there. I only planned a visit of a floating market and do some bicycling. Regards, Rainer

London
Destination Expert
for Salta
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
308 reviews
10. Re: Floating market : Cai Be ok? (versus Cai Rang)

The ferries are express boats from PP to Chau Doc are Blue Cruise and Hang Chau - cost $40 or so. They run once a day.

Ben Tre to Can Tho we organised via our accommodation. We got together with some other guests and eight of us rented a boat for $120 - $15 pp.

Edited: 15 January 2019, 19:19
Reply to: Floating market : Cai Be ok? (versus Cai Rang)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted