We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Vietnam

2 posts
South Vietnam

Ive got 3 weeks to get from Ho chi Minh to Bangkok. I will head south from HCMC to Mekong delta, any suggestions ? Then to a beach where I can swim, I do not want to stay in a resort, something more backpacker style. I then like to head over to Cambodia caost, head up to Siem reap and onto Bangkok for a couple of nights. Any suggestions would be much appreciated ?

Very under prepared

Frank

3 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5,943 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: South Vietnam

How about HCMC to Vung Tau by ferry. Lots of cheap but good accommodation $10-20 a night. It has 5 klms of clean beaches.

Then you can catch a ferry from Vung Tau to Ben Tre in Mekong and make your way to the Cambodian border.

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: South Vietnam

There are many destinations in the Mekong Delta to explore in a few weeks. You can just take public bus from one province to another, stay average 2-3 nights at each place.

Suggested route: HCMC- Ben tre - Tra vinh - Vinh long - Can tho- Sadec- Long xuyên- Châu doc- Ha tien - Phu Quoc Island- back to Ha tien (cross border to Kep, Cambodia).

You can DIY easily, look for home stay or hotels online. public bus ticket costs around 4 USD/ per person from one province to the neighboring towns.

You can also add on Vung tau at the beginning from HCMC, then take the public speed boat to Ben tre, then continue the rest of the itinerary as mentioned.

Cheers,

Nhung from Mango Cruises

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
1 review
3. Re: South Vietnam

HCMC- Mekong Delta- Phu Quoc island- Ha Tien- Cambodia.

Reply to: South Vietnam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted