We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam Itinerary

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Vietnam Itinerary

Hi everyone,

Me and the girlfriend are taking a little trip to Vietnam from the 19th til the 28th and I'm looking for some insidertips :)

I am flying to Bangkok on Saturday the 15th and continuing to Chiang Mai where we will stay for 3 days. The plan is to go back to Bangkok and fly to Da Nang on the 19th where I plan to spend 3 days in Hoi An checking out the city and landscape nearby and go to Ba Na Hills as well - and then spend the final day and night in Hue. After that continue to Haiphong and maybe go on a cruise in Halong Bay (I'm thinking 2 days/1 night). After that go to Ninh Binh for 1 or 2 days. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth going to Hanoi too, I don't really like the heat and congestion of Bangkok, so if it's really similar I might skip it.

What do you think? Any advice on cruises in Halong Bay? Hard to decide if we should go with all the mixed reviews - although it looks really nice.

I wanted to see Angkor Wat too but the price for the flight + entrance to temples and visa is a total of about 300 $ more, so North Vietnam looks more doable budgetwise.

3 replies to this topic
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Vietnam Itinerary

With only 9 days in Vietnam, you're trying to cram in too much.

If you'd like to get a good experience of the country, rather than just 'see' places, stick to no more than 3 places in that time.

Siena, Italy
Level Contributor
66 posts
101 reviews
2. Re: Vietnam Itinerary

Agreed, if you wanted you could do Hoi An (3 nights), Hue (2 nights), Hanoi (4 nights) with one of these nights used as part of a Ha Long Bay cruise with Hanoi hotel pickup.

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
1 review
3. Re: Vietnam Itinerary

Agree with 2 posts above!

Or Skip Hue and do Ninh Binh.

Reply to: Vietnam Itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted