We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Vietnam Airlines safe???

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is Vietnam Airlines safe???

We will be travelling to Hanoi in July - have heard that some government organisations (cannot reveal who or what country) advise against travelling on this airline, due to its dubious safety record. Does anyone have any personal experiences/news/opinions?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,830 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Vietnam Airlines safe???

smiley- i am the biggest flying scaredy cat in the entire universe-

I have never heard anything bad about vietnam airlines and check out every airline forum regularly - in fact, most people only have very good things to say about VN airlines - let's hope I'm right and you're wrong.

btw- two years ago I flew all over china on local planes- now, THAT was frightening but here I still am, thank goodness, alive to tell the tale.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Vietnam Airlines safe???

Thanks for that. Yes, I fly a lot on Chinese airlines too, and do it with a tiny bit of caution (ie: I choose Dragon Air and Shangai Airlines over most if I can). I am an ex flight attendant, so flying doesn't scare me in the least bit - but we are taking our kids to Hanoi and this is what has me in a state of flux, as I had heard not great things about VN. Anyway - you have reassured me - a little! Cheers. :o)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Vietnam Airlines safe???

PS: can you give me URL address of airline forums? Would like to check it out...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,830 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Vietnam Airlines safe???

hi again

here we go- try this website- you can read lots of interesting stuff- and heaps of opinions

http://www.airlinequality.com/

regards

maz

Fremantle, Western...
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Vietnam Airlines safe???

We recently flew Hanoi/Da Nang and Da Nang/HCMC with Vietnam Airlines and were impressed with their aircraft. They were very new and clean. Staff were friendly and attentive.

hanoi
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Vietnam Airlines safe???

Hi Smileybella,

Yes, I agree with some above posters. Vietnam airline is one of the best of Vietnam. I never heard bad things from Vietnam airline. So you should not worry much about it. Thinking that it is as safe as you are home.

Best,

Davidleen

melbourne
Level Contributor
611 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Vietnam Airlines safe???

My friend who is a pilot with Cathy Pacific assures me that Vietnam airlines is fine.

WindsorPlaza
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Vietnam Airlines safe???

Hey Smileybella, ThemMonkeys here.

We travelled to Vietnam on Vietnam Airlines, (about 1 week ago) and it was great.

Trust me when I say, I am the sort of excited passenger (in an: "ask a million and one questions, test out the bits in the toilets, look at all the stuff, adjust the lights / airflow, sample the refreshments" sort of way HA HA LOL) that could test any steward/ess, and they handled me- the (white monkey) and the big Silver back (gorilla) (hubby)just fine.

I have read Qantas use them, and on our actual flight were Qantas passengers. A lady in our check-in que (@ Sydney airport) was flying with Qantas, and lined up behind us, and we actually boarded behind her on the same plane, the only difference I could assertain was she paid twice as much for airfare, just to have a qantas ticket on the exact same plane that we flew on. I trust Qantas's safety record, so I felt fine travelling with them. Hope this helps and that you enjoy your trip.

Regards ThemMonkeys :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Vietnam Airlines safe???

The only negative thing I have heard is the planes smell. A friend works at the Airport and she said when they open the door of the aircraft to let everyone out and it stinks compared to other aircraft? She didn't alloborate.

All their international planes that travel to Australia are Boeing and have a good safety record and have been recently updated.

We are flying from Saigon to Phnom Penn on VN and I think the aircraft is some Russian plane which does scare me.

brisbane
Level Contributor
195 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Vietnam Airlines safe???

Flew with them in April. Very impressed with them and would have no worries about their saftey.

The flights between HCMC/Danang and Danang/Hanoi were on a new Airbus 321. More leg room in economy than I have ever had before on any other airline. Between Hanoi/HCMC the plane was a 777 (it was the Melbourne flight commencing in Hanoi.)

We flew Business on that flight as it is only US $22 to upgrade to business. Well worth it. Had a look at economy and the leg room did not appear to be as much as on the 321.

All flights were nearly full and good service. The pilots were Australian, Vietnamese and French.

If they flew direct from Brisbane would have no problems flying with them internationally. We flew Malaysian Airlines to and from

Vietnam as they have the best connection time. Very impressed with them as well.