We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

30 Days

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
519 posts
96 reviews
30 Days

We are officially thirty days from our departure to Vietnam. Very excited and looking forward to our time in Hoi An. My wife is excited to finally be going to SaPa after three trips of leaving it out.

Below is our official itinerary:

Vietnam 2018

September 07 flight at 0200 from YVR

September 08 arrive at 1035-Hanoi/afternoon flight to DaNang at 1400 hrs

September 09 Hoi An/VH Riverside

September 10 Hoi An/VH Riverside

September 11 Hoi An/VH Riverside

September 12 Hoi An/VH Riverside

September 13 Hoi An/VH Riverside

September 14 Hoi An/VH Riverside

September 15 Hoi An/fly to Hanoi-day room at SSB then night train to SaPa

September 16 Bac Ha/SaPa evening

September 17 Sapa/ night train back to Hanoi

September 18 Hanoi/Splendid Star Boutique

September 19 Hanoi/Splendid Star Boutique

September 20 Hanoi/Splendid Star Boutique

September 21 Hanoi/flight home at 1730 hours

We will be going to Son Tra Mountain and checking out (begrudgingly) BaNa Mountain. I might try to spend a day going to the Cham Islands if time permits.

Also doing visa on arrival, I don’t much like change and it has worked excellent for us so why disturb this. Vietnamvisapro did up our letter and had it to us in under a day.

Remember, less is best!! So excited and thankful to be spending our twentieth anniversary in our most favourite place!!

9 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
10,576 posts
1. Re: 30 Days

"....and checking out (begrudgingly) BaNa Mountain."

What, no interest in the new bridge in the 'amusement park / resort', or whatever it is?

Yeah, I have no desire either. ;-)

"Remember, less is best!!"

Couldn't agree more!

Although, I hope that Hoi An still lives up to what you remembered of it.

"So excited and thankful to be spending our twentieth anniversary in our most favourite place!!"

Hope you end up doing something really good on that day, to help take your mind off what you did 20 years ago. :-)

Cheers mate,

Scott

Edited: 08 August 2018, 07:34
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
78 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: 30 Days

September is the perfect time to see the terraced rice field. (They are flowering now). It is a bit rush for 2 days in Sapa. You can come to visit Lao Chai - Ta Van or Y Linh Ho village. I spent 01 night in Ecolodge in Y Linh Ho last weekend. Best view and less touristic than Cat Cat.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
519 posts
96 reviews
3. Re: 30 Days

I am a wee bit nervous but it has only been three years since the last time we were tin Hoi An so hoping it couldn’t have changed that much? I thought I read somewhere that they have had a 20% increase in tourism in Hoi An every year for the last five years meaning that the number of tourists has doubled in that time? Seems really generous in numbers but I guess we will find out soon enough!

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
519 posts
96 reviews
4. Re: 30 Days

“It is a bit rush for 2 days in Sapa

This year we are only doing a little taste of SaPa. If we like it, we will be increasing our time there on our next trip.

We have been talking about going back next year in mid-September with our kids and my wife’s parents. If so, SaPa should appeal to my in-laws who are avid hikers and hugely into botany.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
56 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: 30 Days

Hi Troy,

This itinerary seems perfect! I couldn't agree more!

A few notes for you in Sa Pa: take part in local markets there, you will see thoroughly the lives of locals, including a horse trip =))))

I don't know but maybe living in homestay is the way you find out more about locals, culture, customs, beliefs and foods there. It's a little bit inconvenient but offers you a nice memory instead. It's up to you!

If you have a chance to come back to Vietnam, I recommend Dalat, romantic cities with a variety of beautiful flowers.

Have a great trip!

Edited: 08 August 2018, 09:29
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
10,576 posts
6. Re: 30 Days

"I am a wee bit nervous but it has only been three years...."

It had been three years for us (2014 - 2017) and tourist numbers, and the type of tourists, had changed markedly.

It's still got it's charm, but you may just need to get out of town occasionally. Or often. ;-)

Scott

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
8,308 posts
549 reviews
7. Re: 30 Days

Better get the night train to Lacao the day before and head for Bac Ha the same day. On Saturday night there is traditional dancing at 8 pm at a stage by the market. You can also explore the Hmong Palace and the beautiful lake on the Saturday. Get up at 7 am and wander round the different sections of the market , return to your hotel for a late breakfast and get out of town before the multitudes of tourists flock to the market.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
519 posts
96 reviews
8. Re: 30 Days

Cp267

I have been to DaLat and loved it! Such a beautiful and unique city and I would return on a future trip...

Ho Chi Minh City...
13 posts
9. Re: 30 Days

Hi Troy,

I am so happy to hear that you have good experiences about Vietnam and you are about to come back to celebrate your twentieth anniversary here.

Your itinerary looks great. And about your worry, I think Hoi An is still a great place to go. No worries, just make sure to try out the delicious dishes from Hoi An (Banh Mi - Vietnamese Baguette, Cao Lau - Hoi An's Noodles, Banh Xeo - Sizzling Crepe and so many more).

Have a fantastic trip and congratulation on your anniversary!

Reply to: 30 Days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted