We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15 day Itinerary feedback

Level Contributor
185 posts
86 reviews
15 day Itinerary feedback

Good Afternoon all,

After much research on here and previous replies to other posts and other websites I have come up with the below itinerary. Travel month is

November and we are both UK passport holders aged mid 30’s and partner early 40’s.

Day 1 - Arrive in HCMC (am)

Day 2 - Mekong Delta Tour

Day 3 - Mekong Delta Tour and back to HCMC (5pm)

Day 4 - Fly to Da Nang (am)

Day 5- Da Nang, Bus to Hoi Ann (afternoon)

Day 6 - Hoi Ann

Day 7 - Bus to Hue (afternoon)

Day 8 - Hue

Day 9- Hue then overnight train to Hanoi or fly evening (still undecided on means of transport to Hanoi).

Day 10 - Hanoi - arrival if on train late morning.

Day 11 - Hanoi

Day 12- Hanoi

Day 13 - Halong Bay Cruise

Day 14- Halong Bay Cruise

Day 15 -return to Hanoi lunch time and flight home late evening.

Any positive or negative feedback will be greatly received. Is this too rushed? Thank you for taking the time to read.

10 replies to this topic
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: 15 day Itinerary feedback

A lot of travelling in 15 days.

In SEAsia, getting around is very slow and time-consuming. Don't underestimate it!

Whilst what you're planning is achievable, I think that you're making the most common mistake first-timers do; trying to cram in as much as possible.

Will this be your only trip to Vietnam? Isn't it possible to go again? Must you cover the whole country in a single visit?

I'll be making my 4th visit this year. Different places each time.

It's a wonderful country with lovely people. Enjoy the experience rather than just try to 'see' as much as possible in one go.

I'd recommend sticking to 1 or 2 areas at most. Last year I spent a whole month in the north and was never short of things to do and places to visit.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: 15 day Itinerary feedback

It's not a bad itinerary but maybe a little bit rushed. I have a couple of suggestions.

On Day 4 you are flying to Da Nang, spending 1 night there then moving on to Hoi An the next day. Personally I would cut the night in Da Nang, travel directly from Da Nang airport to Hoi An and spend the extra night in Hoi An.

I'd also fly from Hue to Hanoi. The overnight train might sound like a bit of an adventure but you would be travelling overnight so nothing to see in the way of scenery, and it is a very bumpy ride. I've taken the train a couple of times and it's always left me tired and grumpy the next day so it pretty much wipes out a day of my holiday.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: 15 day Itinerary feedback

Forget 1-night stays anywhere. That = 2 consecutive travel days.

Vietnam is a wonderful country to be experienced rather than just 'seen'.

Your proposed itinerary is all about travelling and 'seeing' rather than experiencing. The most common mistake first-timers make; trying to cram in as much as possible as if they have to 'see' the whole country in single visit.

Level Contributor
185 posts
86 reviews
4. Re: 15 day Itinerary feedback

Thank you for your responses, I will do some more research and pick North or South.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
10,117 posts
5. Re: 15 day Itinerary feedback

"...I will do some more research and pick North or South."

Excellent idea, because quite frankly, you would have seen very little with that original itinerary.

If you do include the Mekong, then rather than heading back to HCMC to fly out, look at flying from Can Tho (Mekong Delta) to Hanoi.

Will save a fair bit of travel time on the road.

And yes, I agree, one night stays are a waste of time.

Scott

Edited: 08 August 2018, 03:28
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
206 posts
6. Re: 15 day Itinerary feedback

Day 4 & 5 are rushed, give up either Danang or Hoi An.

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
2,427 posts
1 review
7. Re: 15 day Itinerary feedback

It is too rushed for Hoian (Skip Hue).

Or Skip Central VN (Hoian and Hue) as Scott said above.

Level Contributor
185 posts
86 reviews
8. Re: 15 day Itinerary feedback

Thank you all for your suggestions, I’ve decided that my first trip to Vietnam will be in the north. That said I am now looking at going last week of September and first week of October. I have chosen to do Halong Bay at the end as I will be treating myself to a more luxurious stay in Halong Bay compared to the other accommodation choices in this trip. So currently subject to any kind feedback I am looking at the below itinerary:

Day 1 Hanoi

Day 2 Hanoi

Day 3 Hanoi

Day 4 Hanoi

Day 5 Ninh Binh

Day 6 Ninh Binh

Day 7 Ninh Binh

Day 8 Travel day: Ninh Binh - Hanoi- Sapa

Day 9 Sapa

Day 10 Sapa

Day 11 Sapa

Day 12 Travel day Sapa to Hanoi

Day 13 Halong Bay

Day 14 Halong Bay

Day 15 Travel day- Halong Bay to Hanoi and fly out late evening.

Is this an Itinerary you would recommend? Any feedback would be great.

Thank you for your time it is very much appreciated.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
41 reviews
9. Re: 15 day Itinerary feedback

Much more practical itinerary.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
8,616 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: 15 day Itinerary feedback

Last week of October, I'd do Sapa straight away.

If you're lucky, you might still see harvest time on the terrace fields.

Otherwise, look into either Mu Cang Chai (Yen Bai province) or Xin Man / Hoang Su Phi (Ha Giang province).

Cheers,

John

Edited: 10 August 2018, 18:16
Reply to: 15 day Itinerary feedback
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted