We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam Visa Exemption Advice

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
11 posts
Save Topic
Vietnam Visa Exemption Advice

Hello everyone, as I’m a UK citizen I’m eligible for 15 days visa exemption in Vietnam. I will be arriving in Vietnam on 9 August so the last day of my exempt period will be 23 August. I’m planning on getting a flight to Manila at 1:30am on the 24th. Will this be okay if I’m in the airport before midnight, or will this still be classed as overstaying my visa free period?

4 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15,164 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vietnam Visa Exemption Advice

Hello jamesdunne96

it is generally accepted that provided you have passed through immigration control prior to midnight of the final day of your fifteenth day you have met the requirements of your visa. But fail to have done this then you are in breech of your visa.

Best regards. Ian/Angkorlad

UK
Level Contributor
3,230 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vietnam Visa Exemption Advice

> it is generally accepted that provided you have passed through immigration control prior to midnight of the final day of your fifteenth day you have met the requirements of your visa.

Indeed.

But bear in mind, that any airline that is flying you in on the 9th /could/ deny you boarding since you don't have paper proof of leaving Vietnam by the end of the 15th day. Or Vietnamese Immigration could similarly deny you entry. Not saying it will happen. But it could happen.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vietnam Visa Exemption Advice

Great, thanks for the advice. We are entering Vietnam by coach on the 9th, then flying out.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 14:02
puerto princesa
Level Contributor
6,896 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vietnam Visa Exemption Advice

Days are included from your day of arrival to the day of your departure so make sure you are checked in and through immigration by midnite 23rd

Reply to: Vietnam Visa Exemption Advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted