We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in Vietnam

India
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks in Vietnam

Hi,

I am planning to do a trip for 2 weeks in December end with my wife and 1 child & 1 infant. I have just started my research & trying to create an itinerary. I will share my itinerary later when I complete that & ask for the valuable suggestions from other members. But before that I need few suggestions:

1. For Flight I might take: New Delhi to hochiminh city & return Flight from hanoi to New Delhi - Is that ok?

2. I have heard that this is the rainy season in Hanoi, Hue and Hoian & quite cold in Halong. Is that true? Is this good time to visit Vietnam, considering that I will be travelling with infant?

3. I have found out that instead of booking a package from any tour operator, I can easily plan for a DIY tour. It is quite easy to do so. Is that true?

4. I might need to book 2 domestic flights: one from hochiminh to Hue & other from Hoian to Hanoi. I will finalize my itinerary in few days. So, when should I book them? Should I book them straight away as soon as I will finalize my itinerary or should I wait till October or November?

5. Same applies for the accommodations: Should I book them straight away as soon as I will finalize my itinerary or should I wait till October or November?

6. What would be cost estimated per day for a family considering that I will be staying in budget hotels, but lots of sightseeing’s?

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Nitin

11 replies to this topic
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in Vietnam

Hi Nitin

Lots of questions!

1. Why do you ask if it's okay to arrive in HCMC and depart from Hanoi? Plenty of people do that.

2. December isn't rainy season in Hanoi. I was there for the whole of December last year. Only had rain on the evening of the final day.

3. DIY is very easy.

4. Book the flights when you have finalised your itinerary.

5. Same as above. If you book through Booking.com (using the search filters) choose accommodation with 'free cancellation'.

6. Impossible to say without knowing your spending habits.

India
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in Vietnam

Hi GD365

Yes, lots & lots of questions!!!

I think it is common when you are travelling first time to a new country. TA is very helpful for the travelers like me & also the help we get from other members like you is amazing. Thanks for replying for all the questions.

Regarding the cost estimation: We are 4 members. Love eating lots of street food & also may be good restaurant some time. Do not drink beer. Will stay in budget or 2 star hotels. Hopefully we will book a car for everyday sightseeing’s. What else can we cover in spending habits... Shopping would always be extra!!!

regards

Singapore, Singapore
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in Vietnam

Sometime it is easy to DIY, sometime not. You should consider when travelling with your kids. Also Dec is crowed and high season you should book services in advance.

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in Vietnam

Agree with post #1.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
6,730 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in Vietnam

DIY is quite easy. Book accommodation and flights as soon as you have decided on your itinerary.And great to fly out of Hanoi instead of backtracking

India
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks in Vietnam

Thanks everyone for the help !!!

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks in Vietnam

Odd response in post#3.....

"Sometime it is easy to DIY, sometime not."

I'd say "not" is nonsense.

I've been doing DIY in India and SEAsia for several years and never ever had a problem.

India
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 weeks in Vietnam

Yes GD365, you are right.

After reading few TA post, it seems very easy to go for DIY. I have made my mind to go for DIY.

Ho Chi Minh City...
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 weeks in Vietnam

I2 weeks in December end with my wife and 1 child & 1 infant

1. These flights are completely okay so no worries.

2. Regarding Vietnam's weather in December, Hanoi is a little bit cold with 15 degrees Celsius at the lowest, Hue is no longer experience rain and the temperature in Halong is not too cold at 19 degrees Celsius.

3. With the internet and a lot of online booking sites, there are many travelers who choose to do a DIY tour. It is fun, quite easy to plan and customize your trip. However, as you stated, you will travel with your child and infant, and it seems that you haven't visited Vietnam before. I would recommend that you talk to a travel agency so that they can give you more details and recommendations on where to go, what activities are more suitable for you as you will travel with your children so it will be different than individual travelers. Also, the total cost for your entire trip is not very different between booking through an agency with a customized tour and booking online (accommodation, transportation, meal planning, etc.)

4. I would recommend that you should start booking your flights in advance, as soon as you finished your itinerary for better flight fares and more choices.

5. Same with your flight tickets. You should start booking in advance, and if you decide to do a DIY tour, please pay attention to the hotel's rules on cancellation and such.

6. Based on your description, I would estimate it like below:

Street food: US $2-3/ person

Good restaurants: US $4-10/ person (depend so the price is varied)

Hotel (Budget-2 star): US $15-35 (estimated price if you book online - also pay attention to the location's of the hotel)

Shopping in Vietnam is very affordable and you can have many options if you shop at local markets and street shops.

I hope this could help.

Have a great trip, Nitin.

(If you do have more questions or need help on your tour, feel free to reach me.)

Edited: 09 August 2018, 00:44
India
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 weeks in Vietnam

Hi VietspaceTravel

Thanks very much for the answers with detailed information. Really appreciate that.

Regarding the Package vs DIY : Yes, it is my first time in Vietnam. Yes, it would be quite fun thing to do a DIY. I hope to get a better & suitable itinerary according to my family.

" Also, the total cost for your entire trip is not very different between booking through an agency with a customized tour and booking online" - I think there should be a sufficient difference both the type of bookings.

Regards

Nitin

Reply to: 2 weeks in Vietnam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted