We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two week itinerary help

Wellingborough...
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Two week itinerary help

Hello all!

I’ve just booked my flights to Vietnam for Christmas/New Year, excited!

Just looking at a rough itinerary, and in the time I have, I’m struggling to fit everything in. I’ve currently opted to skip most of the centre of the country, and just base all of my activities around HCMC and Hanoi. I’d love to add Hue and Hoi An too, but I’d rather enjoy the other places properly than trying to squeeze everything in. But what are your thoughts?

For added info: I’ll be traveling solo, probably staying in hostels, and I want to sightsee/do adventurous activities/eat lots of local street food!

Vietnam:

23rd: arrive

24th: Hanoi > Ha Long Bay

25th: Ha Long Bay (thought it would be a great way to spend Christmas)

26th: Ha Long Bay > Hanoi

27th: Hanoi > Sapa

28th: Sapa

29th: Sapa > Hanoi

30th: Hanoi

31st: Hanoi > Ho Chi Minh City (Fliight. New Years Eve, I wanted to be in a big city, with lots happening)

1st: Ho Chi Minh City

2nd: Mekong Delta

3rd: Mekong Delta > Ho Chi Minh City

4th: Ho Chi Minh City

5th: Ho Chi Minh City > Hanoi (Flight)

6th: Back to Japan

I booked my return to arrive and leave from Hanoi, purely for cost reasons, which makes me lose a day.

10 replies to this topic
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,690 posts
94 reviews
1. Re: Two week itinerary help

Overall your itinerary looks good but Dec is cold in Sapa so I dont think it is good time to see there. I would like to see Hue & Hoian than Sapa at that time :).

Wellingborough...
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Two week itinerary help

I don’t mind the cold, but does it negatively affect the area? Transport and such? Or will it be okay if I just wear warm clothes?

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,690 posts
94 reviews
3. Re: Two week itinerary help

Yeah, sometimes it is negative affect to the area, foggy so you can not see around.

Wellingborough...
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Two week itinerary help

Okay, thank you! I will replace Sapa with a night in Hue and two nights in Hoi An. Unless you recommend skipping one of them and just having three nights in one place?

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,690 posts
94 reviews
5. Re: Two week itinerary help

Do you plan to take flight or train from Hanoi to Hue? If you want to visit both Hue & Hoian ( 1 night Hue and 2nights Hoian is OK) from Hue you can take bus to Hoian. I booked bus through hotel, it was good and on the way they can stop for us to see Marble Mountain...

Wellingborough...
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Two week itinerary help

I was looking at the overnight train, to save a bit of money. That sounds good!

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,690 posts
94 reviews
7. Re: Two week itinerary help

Yeah, You can take overnight train on 27th Dec, arrival Hue morning 28th then have full day to see Hue city :)

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
41 reviews
8. Re: Two week itinerary help

First of all, don't try to cram things in. Most common mistake first-timers make. Give yourself time to enjoy the experience and culture, rather than just 'see' places.

Sapa in December? I was there last year and enjoyed it. Wear layers and make sure you have something waterproof or an umbrella. Having said that, it didn't rain during the time I was there and in Bac Ha.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
8,631 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Two week itinerary help

Sapa in December, IMO, is not worth the traveling time when you don't have the luxury of it to begin with.

If you do the 3 days 2 nights of the Lan Ha bay via Cat Ba / Hai Phong, you can fly from Hai Phong to Da Nang (for Hoi An).

You could travel back up to Hue with a private car (or Easy Rider) and fly to Saigon (HCMC) from there.

This way, you have 2 nights in each.

Since you only have to fly in from Japan, you can afford the drive between Hoi An and Hue; otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it.

Cheers,

John

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
41 reviews
10. Re: Two week itinerary help

'3 days/2 nights' actually means only 1 full day. The others are travel days. Don't underestimate how slow and time-consuming travel is in SEAsia. Consider the number of full days in a place rather than nights sleeping.

Reply to: Two week itinerary help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted