We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Visa

Hi,

Just after some advice regarding visas for Vietnam. Ideally if anyone has been recently and did you gain a visa on arrival, or did you have to apply in advance. I am staying in this country for less than 30 days and have a UK passport.

I am entering Vietnam by flight into Hanoi from Laos with the hope that I can obtain a visa on arrival but will later go to Cambodia and cross the boarder at Tinh Bien/Phnom Penh.

As I am crossing the board by land I am concerned they may not give me a visa on arrival as I have no flight out of the country.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Tom

4 replies to this topic
puerto princesa
Level Contributor
6,803 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa

British only get 15 day visa so better obtain one before you arrive

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,956 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa

You'll get a VOA visa in Hanoi but if you intend leaving Vietnam and then return later, you'll need a MULTI entry visa. Just make sure that it covers all your time in Vietnam.

As you leave Vietnam (first time) all they do is stamp your exit from Vietnam in your passport. When you come to re-enter Vietnam, they check the visa and put a stamp (usually) on the adjacent page. Meanwhile, you can come and go as much as you like. Only if you leave Vietnam on the expiry date of the visa will they definitely stamp the actual visa - USED. Week or so to expiry, as you leave they might ask if you intend to return to Vietnam, if you say No, again they will stamp it - USED.

BTW VOA visa is only issued at airports but once issued, can be used to enter and exit Vietnam anywhere. The VOA visa, once issued, is a full blown visa, not just an inked rubber stamp.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 12:04
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Hue
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa

Seems to me you don't realise that ALL visas must be pre-arranged and you won't get on the plane without a visa, or an approval letter for a Visa on Arrival. There are two posts on e-visa and Visa on Arrival at the top of the forum that will tell you how to apply online. A third option is to get a visa from an Embassy or Consulate, but at a much higher cost.

Regards

rayza

Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa

If you are staying for 15 days (14 nights) or less they you don't need a visa for Vietnam. Your UK passport allows you to get a visa waiver on arrival.

If you are staying more than 15 days you will need a visa. There are various options.

1. Visa on Arrival (but this must be arranged in advance, before you travel)

2. e-visa (again, must be arranged in advance).

3. Old fashioned visa from a Vietnamese embassy in the UK before you travel.

All 3 visas allow you to enter by air and leave overland (though not necessarily the other way around) but whichever option you choose, you MAY be asked to show proof of onward travel so best to book your bus journey to Cambodis in advance and take a copy of your ticket with you.

If you intend to leave Vietnam, then return again you will need a multi-entry visa.

Reply to: Visa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted