We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
currency

my stay, tours and meals except for lunch are paid for in advance. my only expense will be lunch, picking up water or pepsi. will i be able to pay for this in us$ or should i convert to dong. any suggestions for amt required for this for 7 days. we plan to pick up fast food from Mc Donalds,

4 replies to this topic
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: currency

You should change USD to Dong to pay for meals or shopping. It will be easier than paying by $. ATM is quite popular in big city..

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: currency

Many things are advertised in US$, but you have to pay in VNDong. It's the law.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: currency

Change in Dong is easier. Vietnamese people prefer to pay in cash than by card. Instead of fast food, you can have many other things to eat in Vietnam, of course, it is cheap.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 12:37
Mentioned in this post
vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,730 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: currency

When you get here change your dollars into Dong. Easy to do, current rate is approx $1 = 23,000 Vietnam Dong. Strange that you have to pay for lunch as that is normally included in the tour. Even stranger that you want to have Mac Donalds :-) If you go out of Saigon / HCMC or Hanoi there will be no Mac Donalds but plenty of other nice Vietnamese or western type foods to enjoy. Cost of a nice simple meal or pepsi will be the same as you pay at home. Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Saigon Hotel
Saigon Hotel
216 Reviews
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Reply to: currency
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted