We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entering in Vietnam from Cambodia through Chau Doc by boat

pistoia
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Entering in Vietnam from Cambodia through Chau Doc by boat

Hello, as the subject states, I've planned to move from Phnom Penh to Chau Doc by boat.

I know this question has been already discussed before, but I haven't still found a 100% sure and reliable answer.

Do I need a "full" visa, issued by vietnamese embassy in Italy, or just an evisa is ok? In the list of ports allowing to get to Vietnam with evisa, there is 'Song Tien', which is a landport... is it correct specifying that port on the evisa, even if I cross the border by boat?

I sent an email with this question to the vietnamese embassy in Italy and to the mail address of vietnamese e-visa page. Of course no answer from them both.

It's interesting what #17 says about this very same topic:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29392…

I'd like to have some confirmations more.

Many thanks for your help.

Alessandro from Italy

12 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15,157 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entering in Vietnam from Cambodia through Chau Doc by boat

Hello rosco27

When travelling by river from Cambodia to Vietnam you will Exit Cambodia at the Khadram Sam Nor Kach Roka land/river International Border crossing post and, circa 300 metres later, Enter Vietnam through the Song Tien marine International Border Crossing.

Most times passengers have to go ashore at both International Border Crossings whist documents are processed and a quick check/search of the boat made by respective officials. However, for some of the larger, more expensive cruise vessels passengers stay on board - but you pay for this privilege one way or another.

Best regards. Ian/Angkorlad

Hanoi
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Entering in Vietnam from Cambodia through Chau Doc by boat

You absolutely need a visa on advance, not a VOA ; the ay you get it does not matter. The speedboats leave PP around 13h30 (5h-navigation) and an employee accompanies the passengers for the border formalities.

pistoia
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Entering in Vietnam from Cambodia through Chau Doc by boat

Thank you both for your reply.

To Iarsay: with visa on advance, I hope you mean an e-visa. Visa on arrival is out of question, ok.

What is the 'ay' I get?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15,157 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Entering in Vietnam from Cambodia through Chau Doc by boat

Hello again rosco27

Please read the wording within the brackets [ ] below and it should become clear to you:

Cambodia –[ [unlike Vietnam which requires you to have your visa organised prior to arrival at its land borders or airports, or be a national of a country eligible for a short-stay 15 day visa exemption or other exemption]] - operates a visa-on-arrival scheme for most, but not all, nationalities.

There is so much posted to forum about VN visas so please read this material.

You will NOT be permitted to board the boat from Phnom Penh to Chau Doc unless your VN visa status is clear to the boat company.

Best regards. Ian/Angkorlad

pistoia
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Entering in Vietnam from Cambodia through Chau Doc by boat

Maybe I didn't explain myself well. This is my situation:

1) I have got already a regular e-visa to get to Cambodia, issued online for $36, valid 30 days, no problem.

2) To get to Vietnam of course I need a vietnamese visa. Not even contemplating the vietnamese visa on arrival, I have 2 more kinds of vietnamese visas to choose between: 1) e-visa, issued online by immigration.gov.vn, valid 30 days, and 2) normal, "full" visa, issued by the vietnamese embassy of my country, valid 90 days.

As I enter in Vietnam via river coming from Cambodia through Chau Doc, which of the previous 2 kinds of visas do you think I need to have? I'll stay in Vietnam less than 30 days.

I hope my question is clearer now.

Further note: I need an evisa/visa as I stay more than 15 days.

Beside question. Should the e-visa be ok, and being 'Song Tien' listed as a landport, but very close to the Cambodia/Vietnam border, is it right if I specify 'Song Tien' as entry port in Vietnam, even if I go by boat?

Thanks again,

Alessandro

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,825 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Entering in Vietnam from Cambodia through Chau Doc by boat

Instead of posting here why do you not go to the Vietnamese embassy in PP. They are very good and should be able to tell you all your options. Why you are contacting, or trying to get the Vietnamese Embassy in Italy beats me. This is a very simple thing to arrange / do. Even Mussolini could have done it. Look what happened to him ;-)

pistoia
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Entering in Vietnam from Cambodia through Chau Doc by boat

What's the point of your answer?

You've been of no help, quite hateful and not funny.

I may have asked an already discussed question, and so does this give you the right to be so rude?

Oh, maybe even Diem could have acted like that, and look how he ended ;-)

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
10,872 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Entering in Vietnam from Cambodia through Chau Doc by boat

As no one else seems to be answering your question satisfactory to you and I personally am note sure of the status of an E-visa at that entry point why not do what I have done many times and that is go into any one of the myriads of visa agents along the water front boulevard in Phnom Penh and obtain a visa through them both cheaper and quicker than going personally to the Vietnam embassy in PP yourself.

that way you will be guaranteed a boarding on the boat from PP to Chau Doc.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 19:43
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,958 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Entering in Vietnam from Cambodia through Chau Doc by boat

How about #34 on the same thread https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293… Sounds like a goer to me.

"Song Tien"actually means the main branch of the Mekong River in Vietnamese" isn't quite correct though. :-) Sông Tiền really means River Tien.

pistoia
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Entering in Vietnam from Cambodia through Chau Doc by boat

Yes, that's what I thought.

I personally asked by email 2 travel agencies, one in Phnom Penh and one in Chau Doc, and I got opposing answers... that's why I'm looking for a definitive solution..

In the answer #32 of your linked thread, there's another proof of the confusion about this matter.

Maybe the safest way is getting a complete visa (not an e-visa) issued by a travel agency in Phnom Penh. It'll be more expensive, but I want to travel hassle free.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to: Entering in Vietnam from Cambodia through Chau Doc by boat
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted