We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time should I allow at Hanoi airport?

London, United...
1 post
How much time should I allow at Hanoi airport?

My friend and I are heading straight from Halong Bay to Hanoi airport (to catch a domestic flight to Danang). We haven’t booked the departing flight yet because we aren’t sure which flight to book. One flight leaves at 4:30, the second at 6:30. We’ve been assured by the company driving us to the airport that they will get us there by no later than 3:30. I’m concerned that 1 hour will not be long enough to check-in/get through security etc., to be on time for the 4:30 flight. It’s unclear if we’ll be able to check-in online prior to the flight (i’m not sure we’ll have internet access on our cruise). I think the 6:30 flight would be safer and more realistic. Any suggestions or can anyone advise how smoothly domestic flight departure process is from Hanoi?

8 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
10,383 posts
1. Re: How much time should I allow at Hanoi airport?

"I’m concerned that 1 hour will not be long enough to check-in/get through security etc.,..."

Yep, me either.

Personally, the thought of racing off to the airport after a relaxing HB cruise kind of defeats the purpose of the cruise.

But in answer to your question, give yourself more time.

Scott

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: How much time should I allow at Hanoi airport?

I wouldn't risk the 4:30 at any airport, no matter what promises the company driving you makes. It's just too tight if anything untoward happens.

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
1 review
3. Re: How much time should I allow at Hanoi airport?

What about taxi/ private transfer from Halong Bay to Cat Bi airport (Hai Phong) for a flight to Danang - Save more time than get back Hanoi?

Did you check it out already?

Edmonton, Canada
2 posts
1 review
4. Re: How much time should I allow at Hanoi airport?

We have contacted A couple of services to see about a private car, and they are promising they can get us to the airport by 2:30, which would allow us 2 hours through check-in and security. I am more comfortable with that cushion but still concerned that traffic or delays at the airport could impact our chances of getting to the gate in time. Not sure what the highways are like there or how cumbersome getting through security at this airport could be.

Hanoi
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
80 reviews
5. Re: How much time should I allow at Hanoi airport?

The airport is north of Hanoi (25 km north) and so is Halong Bay, so, a car is safe

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
8,157 posts
449 reviews
6. Re: How much time should I allow at Hanoi airport?

I would not even risk the 6.30 flight as most tours return to Hanoi late afternoon. The tour company cannot guarantee getting you back by 3.30. Traffic jams, breakdowns ?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,330 posts
71 reviews
7. Re: How much time should I allow at Hanoi airport?

We have chosen the port for our Halong cruise that has a shorter travel time. They say they will drop you back at your hotel by 230pm. We have hired a private car to just bring us to the airport, which apparently will have us to the airport around the same time. Our flight departs at 6pm. We feel comfortable with this itinerary as it does still leave room for some blips (obvisously not large ones, but noone can predict everything) ... 430pm flight even with the shorter travel time would make me a bit uncomfortable. I would do the later flight.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
15,197 posts
74 reviews
8. Re: How much time should I allow at Hanoi airport?

I agree with palawanismyhome - travel the next day! You cannot rush Vietnam - unpredictable traffic!

Reply to: How much time should I allow at Hanoi airport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted