We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam Itinerary Check / Suggestions!

4 posts
Vietnam Itinerary Check / Suggestions!

Hi everyone,

I’m starting my (fairly long career break) next January and my first stop will be Vietnam, I’ve got a rough itinerary in my head and would like some advice/suggestions on it if possible?! I would normally keep things open ended but It looks like I’ll be in the country for Tet (5th Feb 2019) so I’m slightly more inclined to get things sorted early on.

- Plan is to fly into Hanoi around Monday 28th Jan, from here spend a couple of days / Halong Bay, Cat Ba etc

- Phong Nha- Ke Bang National Park

- I’d like to get to Hoi An about the 3rd and I don’t mind settling there for a fair few days once the New Year festivities finish up. Is Hue with a visit? I don’t mind backtracking on myself.

- I would also like to do a home stay, I read somewhere on this forum that near Pleiku there are some ‘off the beaten track.’

- Before heading to Ho Chi Minh I would like a few days by the beach, which would you recommend? (Somewhere fairly relaxing with the option of a good drink?)

Thanks again for any help!

2 replies to this topic
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: Vietnam Itinerary Check / Suggestions!

It would be worthwhile going to Travelfish.org for some in-depth research.

If you're thinking of a cruise, consider Lan Ha bay (from Cat Ba island) rather than Ha Long. It's far less touristy than Ha Long, has the same beautiful karst scenery, and is much cleaner.

Spend 2 full days in Cat Ba town; one for a cruise and the other for a full day's trekking in the national park. Don't book either online. Easy to do through your hotel and far cheaper.

For example, I did a full day Lan Ha cruise, including kayaking and a good lunch on board for just 340,000VND. The same trip advertised on TA costs double that.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Vietnam Itinerary Check / Suggestions!

You don't need to backtrack. From Hanoi you can get a flight/train to Danang which is about a 20-30 minute drive from Hoi An.

There is a nice beach just outside Hoi An. If you are staying in Hoi An town you can easily go to the beach for the day or maybe spend a few days in Hoi An town then switch to a different hotel closer to the beach for a few days.

After Hoi An head on to Hue for a couple of days then you can carry on heading South from there. Either get a train/flight direct to HCMC or (if you want more beach time) stop off in Nha Trang on the way. Nha Trang is fairly nice but a bit 'touristy'.

Reply to: Vietnam Itinerary Check / Suggestions!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted