We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing China - Vietnam border (Nanning-Hanoi bus route)

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Crossing China - Vietnam border (Nanning-Hanoi bus route)
Save

Hi everyone,

I will be travelling from Nanning to Hanoi by bus via the Chinese-Vietnamese land border in February. Some websites suggest that foreigners are only allowed to cross the border by 4.30pm / 5pm daily. Can anyone tell me if this is correct? We were intending to take a later bus (the border itself does seem to be open later) and would like to cross after 5pm.

Thank you very much in advance!

Julia

Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
6 helpful votes
1. Re: Crossing China - Vietnam border (Nanning-Hanoi bus route)
Save

I am also very interested in finding out about this!

And I am also curious if anyone has information about the visa situation - I am staying less than 15 days so normally I wouldn't need a visa, however it seems like some people have had trouble getting across the border without one, regardless of whether they are covered by the 15 day exemption!

Yokohama, Japan
Level Contributor
276 posts
2. Re: Crossing China - Vietnam border (Nanning-Hanoi bus route)
Save

to OP

I crossed Ping Xiang/ Huu Nghi Quan border(between Nanning and Ha Noi) so many times till 2015 from both sides and it's the first time for me to hear such a curious information---

>only allowed to cross the border by 4.30pm / 5pm daily

so i want to know "from where" and "with which media" OP got those curious informatoin to me though it may be the most recent situation of border crossing from some reason.

(both of China and Vietnam are using new immigration office building so there need no constructions or reconstruction to limit the time of border crossing---i think, --- why ????)

to #2

as for 15 days visa exemption --

I traveled China & Vietnam & Laos(combined 3 ciuntries) mahy times(15 times) using 15 days visa exemption for entering into each country till 2015 having any troubles and no wondering as what you write.

>however it seems like some people have had trouble getting across the border without one

---it's also very curious information to me though it may also be the recent visa situation of China or Vietnam-- but as far as i know, now there is no war and no very severe relation between 2 countries so i want to know "from where" and "with which media" #2 got those curious informatoin to me---why???

Please let me know !

Or there occures a new severe war between China and Vietnam though i haven't read any news on TV and newspapers at all, at least, till today!

Edited: 4 years ago
Yokohama, Japan
Level Contributor
276 posts
3. Re: Crossing China - Vietnam border (Nanning-Hanoi bus route)
Save

my post #2 +

I noticed now!!

Possibly because of construction of high-speed train system between Nanning and Ha Noi?!

In Laos, the first plan of connstruction of high-speed train system between Kunming(china) and Vientiane(Laos) by China changed to normal train system but many tunnels at Lao side have already constructed or under construction.

https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=construction+of+tunnels,+Luang+Namtha,+railway&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwihr76s5svYAhULVrwKHZgyBfcQsAQINw&biw=632&bih=845

---construction of tunnels at Lao side(at Luuang Nam THa)

https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=construction+of+tunnels+at+Luang+Naam+tha++railway+%E7%94%BB%E5%83%8F&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi8hcm45MvYAhXGyLwKHRfEBtIQsAQIKA&biw=1280&bih=853

---plans of railway system and constructions in SEA counries by China

So constructionhigh-speed trainn system between Nanning and Ha Noi may be progressing now too?! --and with it, various limitations for it occured now?!

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Crossing China - Vietnam border (Nanning-Hanoi bus route)
Save

Hi @tageckozy,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I hope that the situation as regards border "opening times" has not changed since your travels.

My sources for the border "opening times" information are the Lonely Planet website:

"Standard times that foreigners are allowed to cross are usually 7am to 5pm daily."

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/vietnam/transport/getting-there-away/land

And this website called "Vietnam Online":

"It is wise to arrive at Friendship Pass (customs and immigration) before 4:30 PM, because they do not stamp foreign passports after that time."

https://www.vietnamonline.com/faqs/how-can-i-travel-overland-from-china-to-hanoi.html

But Lonely Planet refers generally to all land borders and I am not sure whether the "Vietnam Online" contains current information, which is why I am asking here for advice.

Thank you for also sharing your experiences regarding for the land border crossing. I have the same problem as @Eva C.

I found that Visa on Arrival is not granted on land borders:

https://www.travelfish.org/visas/vietnam

So I was wondering if the visa exemption and visa on arrival were linked. There is no clear information on whether both are linked.

5. Re: Crossing China - Vietnam border (Nanning-Hanoi bus route)

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?